Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  14:56:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Do you give your snakes bottled water?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:00:44  Show Profile
i give mine boiled tap water thats been left out over night for the chlorine to evaperate

Edited by - n/a on 04/08/2008 15:01:09
Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:36:27  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
i use tap water but i should really use bottled or boiled like lindsei because the water in Nottingham is hard. Would hard water harm Angelina?

Edited by - Leyrielton2 on 04/08/2008 15:36:51
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:43:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Boiled water won't make it less hard. Hardness is measured by the Ca & Mg present. I doubt that extra Calcium would be harmful, but don't take my word for it.

I just use tap water left for 24 hours to de-chlorinate as with my fish.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:03:34  Show Profile
Actually boiling water can reduce the hardness
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:10:14  Show Profile
I use bottled, and will continue using it although I read somewhere that once your snake gets older they will be ok with tap water
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:12:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by moneymaker

Actually boiling water can reduce the hardness

By leaving the limescale in your kettle, I suppose that's true, although I doubt it would make that much difference.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:13:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by potter fan

I use bottled, and will continue using it although I read somewhere that once your snake gets older they will be ok with tap water

What do you think is the reason for people (or you) not using tap water?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:29:50  Show Profile
I read that because its hard water it can somehow be harmful to your snake, sorry , my brain is like a sieve so can't remember exactly how it can harm them, but it was more when they are young, I have just chose to carry on using bottled because I am afraid the change could harm him somehow, but I think if your snake has always had tap water its what they are gonna be used to so should be ok.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:32:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm not saying you're wrong and obviously not all tap water is hard so one person's experience may be different to another's.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:59:38  Show Profile
Tap water contains chlorine which can be harmful to baby corn snakes, but also contains chloramine which cannot be removed by letting the water stand for 24 hours. So you would need a water conditioner to remove these as well as other chemicals, making the water safer to drink.
Bottled water is fine though, but to be honest I dont condition my water & use it from the tap with no problems.

Edited by - n/a on 04/08/2008 17:00:15
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  18:42:13  Show Profile
i have always used tap water straight from tap as i was not advised any diifferent.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  19:03:03  Show Profile
i use tap water and so far Synyster is fine and hes dinky!!!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  19:23:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I've never heard of a snake having problems with tap water but a lot of people seem to be really strong advocates of bottled water.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  19:44:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the snakes have tap water, the dog does, the cats do and so do I

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:33:59  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
well i drink the tap water so if its good enough for me then Angelina can have it too

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:44:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
So far 8:1 Tap Water

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

538 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:47:08  Show Profile
Tap water here,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:57:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
does it fit with the North/South divide on BE's map? is it just us tight northerners that are on the tap water??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  21:00:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No, MM uses tap and he's loaded! - He keeps the whole ebay community afloat!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  21:01:51  Show Profile
great, i'm in the minority, a big rasberry blown to you lot!!! I found where I read it and it said it can cause gastric problems in hatchlings because of it being so hard, but lets face it, the amount of warnings they give you when you are pregnant is laughable, everyone just likes to be cautious nowadays, even though he would be fine on tap water I wouldn't change it now, coz knowing my luck, something would happen and I would never forgive myself, he's my baby!!! LOL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000