Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  19:33:38  Show Profile
An on/off stat is a dimming stat; they turn on the heat source until they reach the desired temp, then turn off until the sensor realizes the temp drop, then it turns back on again.

The table lamp dimmers are similar to the pulse stats that I explained before, but with the table lamp dimers, the room the viv is in shouldn't rise or fall in temp (fluctuate) often & should remain stable within a couple of degrees C. Then the temp will remain the same constantly when the table lamp dimmer is set. I have found mine to work perfect & they're on ebay for like £6 incl. del. !

Hope you can sort it but for now a 4.5*C fluctuation I wouldn't worry about too much.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  19:38:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thanks again, you live and learn

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  20:01:03  Show Profile
if you want to maintain a constant temp you should be looking at getting a pulse stat.

http://www.eurorep.net/habistat/pulse.htm

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  20:12:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I do have one of those, just trying a new style with my new vivs but wasn't expecting such a large temperature range, thought it might be +/- 1C, not +/- 2C

Cheers though.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  20:18:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
PS, I think a dimming thermostat is different to an on/off one MM:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=83&products_id=153

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  20:29:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
'HabiStat Dimming Thermostat
The Dimming thermostat is the most accurate method of temperature control and will control a wide variety of heaters. It requires a minimum load of 40 watts and has a maximum load capacity of 600 watts. It is the only thermostat that can be recommended for use with incandescent light bulbs and uses the latest technology in a manner similar to the pulse proportional thermostat. Instead of pulses of power being supplied to the heater, it is supplied with a continuous but variable supply of power or voltage. In principle this has a similar effect to the light dimmers or rheostats used in the home.

How a dimming thermostat works.

The desired temperature is set on the dial. Both the cage and the heater are cold so the heater is supplied with full power from the thermostat. As the set temperature is neared, the power to the heater is reduced steadily until, at the set temperature, it levels out. With this steady supply of power to the heater it makes for exceptionally accurate temperature control and extends the life of heaters considerably.'

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  21:13:30  Show Profile

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=4411&productname=MICROCLIMATE%20600W%20DIMMING%20THERMOSTAT
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  21:46:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
So there's not much between pulse and dimming, but the on/off one I purchased is pretty rubbish

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  22:54:56  Show Profile
Dimming is on/off. If the dimming stat is linked to a light, when it reaches the set max temp the light goes off then when the temp drops the stat kicks in again & the light comes back on.

If you linked a pulse stat to a light it would be constantly flickering or going on off on off on off on off, etc, etc.

The table lamp dimmer if linked to a light will keep the light on but the higher the setting the brighter the light & hotter the temp will be. So if linked to a heatmat the higher the setting the hotter the heatmat.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  08:32:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The Habistat Dimming Thermostat I quoted above says that it doesn't turn it on and off, it just reduces the power, effectively dimming the bulb but never actually going off.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:08:01  Show Profile
Yeah I know what you mean now I had a 25w miniture bulb (golf ball) in a glass tank before & I now remember when the output was at its lowest, just the filiment in the bulb would glow very very dim - which caused the bulb to actually break over time. (not shatter)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:16:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
So my choices are:

A) An on/off Stat that varies by ~5C

B) A Pulse Proportional Stat that is going to flicker the light on and off but is more accurate

C) A Dimming Thermostat which won't flicker, is accurate, but will kill the bulb quicker!

Should have stuck with mats!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:39:13  Show Profile
Well the last stat was I think because the golf ball bulbs were not really made for heating vivariums, but do work as a heat/light source. Basically I didn't use them again for that as they broke down. Try a ceramic bulb with a guard & use a pulse stat or go back to a heatmat. Is this for a corn snake or royal ?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  11:25:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Corn.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000