feeding question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  19:48:37  Show Profile
I fed Fiona last sunday. i tried feeding yesterday and then again today and she refused twice. any suggestions?

p.s. I know i'v had alot of questions and i just wanted to say thanx for all your help and i am learning more and more. thanx!!!

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  19:55:34  Show Profile
shedding ?

stressed ?

try in a few days ?

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  21:46:51  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
any of the above
gravid?

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  18:04:40  Show Profile
wots your temps???

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  20:40:43  Show Profile
the temps are 30 and 23. she ate yesterday she was shedding but this is the second time in one month she has shed. Could it just be stress? my house can be rathe busy at the weekend
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  21:15:12  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
could be stressed if there is a lot going on

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  21:47:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How much is she normally eating (when she does) and do you handle her much? - Perhaps she's just growing quickly.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  21:57:44  Show Profile
i try to feed her one small mouse once a week but its more like every 10 days. i want to get her into a pattern but if she wont eat there's not much i can do. i try to handle her most days for about 5 mins but she still looks very nervous and jumpy
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  22:14:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How old is she?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  18:54:17  Show Profile
I think she's about two. the guy he's who sold her to me said she was about two, but he also said she was pregnant and that putting the heat matt on the back wall of the viv was the best idea... He was wrong on both accounts
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:35:49  Show Profile
3rd time lucky lol

I would say try & get into a feeding regime first rather than worrying about handling the snake as well. Let the snake get used to you opening the viv to feed. This will allow the snake to realize that when you interact with it that you're providing food & it's not stressing about being taken out of its viv.
You can feed out of the viv but if this causes more stress to the snake then feed the snake in the viv. Even if you have to leave the food in over night & try not to disturb the snake at all until the morning when you check to see if the food item has been eaten. Again if it hasn't dont disturb the snake just remove the uneaten food & try in a few days excatly the same.
If the food item has been eaten try the same routine of no handling & feeding in the viv with out disturbing the snake & checking the next morning to see if the food has been eaten.
Once the snake is into a good routine & feeding more regular then you can try to handle the snake more & maybe try to feed out of the viv if you want to. Usually people feed out of the viv in a seperate vented container so the snake doesn't associate you with food, lunging for your hand by accident. Not all people do this & I think at the moment the best thing for your snake would be to eat rather than tolerate being handled.
Try to leave the snake as much as possible, just change the water & feed.
Only feed in the viv on newspaper or put the food item in a plastic container in the viv with a hole cut in the top.

Have you tried smaller food items just to get her started ?
Do you have a picture of the snake next to a small mouse just for size comparison ?

Edited by - n/a on 01/08/2008 19:37:37
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  19:52:11  Show Profile
I'll try to get a pic next time. i think she is eating, she was just getting ready to shed last time. but i will take your advice and settle her into a routine before any more handling
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000