Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 1st time Corn Snake owner...any advice???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  13:20:20  Show Profile
Hi All,

Just a few questions bout my new fella Oscar (he's a 10 week old sun-glow corn) -

1. Getting him out of his viv can be a bit challenging, he tends to breathe heavily and flee as soon as my hand touchs him (he has thrashed once or twice). Only times I have handled him is when he's on his bark and i lift him with it and plop him onto my hand! How can i make him feel a bit more at ease so he can be picked up more easily?

2. His viv is 2x1.5x1.5 and he himself is 1.5ft, would he be scared by the amount of space?

3. I'm from Belfast (not the warmest of places...like anywhere in the U.K.!!!) and was wondering if i'd need to get a heat mat for oscar's viv in the winter?

4. When would be the best time to start feeding 2 pinkies instead of 1? Should I put 2 in for his next feeding and just see how he gets on?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  13:37:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hello and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your purchase, I'll try and answer your questions, sure you'll get more responses later.

1. Handle him for short periods and often and be confident. He will get used to it.

2. Make sure he has lots of hiding spaces otherwise yes, it could be a bit big.

3. No, you don't need one for winter, you need one now! - You have to provide different temperatures for your snake as they are cold-blooded and so can't regulate their own temperature.

4. If after one he stays out looking for more, offer him another.

Good luck and go and buy a heat mat and a thermomstat.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  13:49:16  Show Profile
Cheers!

When being handled he has gone completely vertical before (like cobras which are "supposedly" being tranced by the flute players) is this normal? or is he having an identity crisis?!

You had me panicing there, There is a heat lamp and a thermostat already in his viv but I was worried it might get too cold in the winter (even with the heat lamp?).

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  14:03:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thats ok then, as long as its on a thermostat you'll be fine, although a lot will say that a heatmat is better.

wrt tail-balancing, mine does this in her viv, but never has in my hands, sure its nothing to worry about. How long have you had him?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  14:15:26  Show Profile
Don't worry about the handling of him, I was very nervous when I first got cecil, now I just let him come to the top of his viv, mines a top opening one and then take hold about 1/3 of his length below his head, now we're both getting there and handling is more frequent and a lot less challenging.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  19:01:07  Show Profile
dead on, i'll have a wee look about for a heat mat! I've had him about 7 weeks. I know it'll take a while for the two of us to get used to each other, i just get worried he's stressed or afraid!

I did that with oscar at the start, when he got to the top of his viv he had no where to go but onto my hand lol. Does cecil often try to get on the ground when you are handling?

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  21:51:05  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
cobras don`t hear the flute they just follow the movement waiting for the moment to strike if need be

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  22:29:16  Show Profile
because I'm still getting used to handling cecil I try to keep him above his viv. so if he does get spooked its easy to place him back, but yes he's constantly going downward, I think its just while he gets used to the difference, must be quite scary for them being so small. Hope oscar soon settles in and I'm sure you'll both be doing fine, I know the guys on here have helped me loads.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000