Co-habitation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  23:59:34  Show Profile
We have a 10yr old female snow corn in a 5' tank.

Looking to buy a lovely 2yr old male red corn, who is around the same size.

Our snow has laid empty eggs each year for the past 3yrs & we'd like to get her a boyfriend.

Will they live happily ever after in the same tank?

Thanks for your advice.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  07:55:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Heya Lainey, my breeding pair were introduced to each other as adults, they are a similar size (always a good plan!!) and I provide 2 hides at both ends of the 4' viv so they can have their own space but I quite often find them snuggled up together

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  08:38:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I always wondered if there was a chance of exhaustion on the male's part?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  10:12:12  Show Profile
Yes that's why you need to seperate the snakes to their own vivs to allow them to have a break incase the male harasses the female while she's gravid or even unwilling to co-operate with the male.

The male can be fed back up again once he's been in with the female for a week or so & they have mated.

then he can be put with another female, left on his own or put back if you want to increase chances of a second clutch, or if the previous eggs were infertile.

You can pair a male up with 4 or more females when in optimal condition so a short break will allow him to recover well although some males will not eat during this time anyway.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  13:48:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Luckily Birch and Spruce are only 'up for it' during the breeding season and never seem to bother each other the other 11 months of the year.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  16:45:02  Show Profile
Thanks for your replies. We dont have room for a 2nd viv, unfortunately. LFS advised that both snakes would be fine 2gether, but then I read a few contrary reports online.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  19:59:13  Show Profile
Just 2 let u all know - we bought the red corn & he's settlin in nicely!

He doesnt snuggle up 2 our female but they both seem quite happy to cohabit & b taken out & held. We already had 2 hidin places & water bowls & they seem 2 swap around & explore quite happily.

I have an old fish tank which we can set up near her usual empty egg laying time (early May). Or earlier if we c signs of love.

Will let u know how it goes.....

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  20:10:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Did you quarantine the new snake at all?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  08:39:56  Show Profile
He'd been quarantined in the pet shop, so no. We've been keeping an eye on him for a few months. Pet shop owner breeds them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  09:36:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Excellent.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000