new corn owner with a question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  14:30:27  Show Profile

Hi there everyone, My name is Fiona,my corn is Burley..Nice to meet you all.
Ive had my corn for 3 days now, he seems to be happy in his new viv,, he has been out of his hide twice, but i would like to know if this is enough for him?? Im worried he may be scared to come out more often. He is possibly just getting used to his new surroundings but im sure that would mean he would be out more often?
Can any1 help please?

I have been reading through the forums and i have found them fantastic for answering peoples questions and they have also answered a few of mine lol
CHEERS GUYS

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  14:56:53  Show Profile
New snakes in new surroundings are nervous especially babies. Being ambush predators they are naturally secretive & hide alot of the time. Also they are more active at night time. Too much interaction with a new young snake can cause stress so it may not feed, explore & may even defend itself thinking you're a threat. Snakes won't act like hamsters, etc.

How do you have the tank set-up ?

substrate ?

temps ? (where are your thermometers placed)

how many hides ?

Edited by - n/a on 05/07/2008 14:57:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

236 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  16:41:00  Show Profile
Hi Fiona and welcome to the forum. I'm sure your little guy will settle in soon. We got 2 new babies last saturday and they hid away alot. One did come out for a quick scout around last night but soon disappeared again lol Just give him some more time to relax.

4.2.0 dogs
1.1.0 cats
25.8.34 bettas
2.2.0 corn
1.1.0 brb
1.0.0 teenager
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  18:51:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Fiona, Burley was probably out while you were sleeping, but its not unusual for them to take their time to acclimatise.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  20:15:33  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome, how is your snake now

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  20:15:58  Show Profile
Howdy, welcome to the site
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  22:01:07  Show Profile
Thank you all for the welcomes.
He is still in hideing!! Poked his head out and had a sniff of the air, didnt fancy it i suppose. lol
I will keep watching for him over the next few days and see if theres any change.Hope hes ok.
Are uv lights safe to use?.. at the moment im useing 1 of those but i do have a heat mat i could swop it for?
THANKS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  22:09:27  Show Profile

oh my gosh i've just realised.. uv light will not be safe as it will get too hot!!!!!!!!!!!! How stupid am i
Its quite a good job he hasnt been out or he could have burnt!!!
I'm going to unplug it and start useing the mat instead.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  09:07:55  Show Profile
Burley was out last night..he knocked one of his branches down thats how i know he was exploring while i was asleep, so blackecho you was right Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  10:38:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Wiggle can be the same quite often. She pokes her head out in the evening, but after we have gone to bed and I go back in half an hour later she's guaranteed to be up!

On other occasions she's quite happy to be up when people are around.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  11:42:27  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Welcome to the site Fiona. Angelina tends to come out late afternoon and in the evening, usually when its dark so maybe invest in some night vision goggles

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  12:29:30  Show Profile
Hi everyone, on Friday i got my partner to go buy some pine substate as i was useing shredded papertowel! I also bought 2 new branches which are a bit longer and thicker than the others he had in b4, and i have wrapped a plastic plant around them all.
I really cannot believe it as since i have changed some of the things he had in already he has been so much more active

Things are looking up
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  14:31:06  Show Profile
try aspen bedding pine is poisonous. there's a link in another thread with an explanation, etc.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  16:22:13  Show Profile
Just asked my partner what the substrate was because i was sooooo worried!
You guys must think im so slack(well iam blonde !!)
He informed me that it is beech wood chippings.. he told the guy in the pet shop that we had a corn and he told him that this substrate was fine to use.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  17:57:30  Show Profile
lol I replied in the other thread.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  19:36:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
De javu?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:00:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

De javu?

or even 'deja vu'?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  07:01:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Smart **** ;)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000