Few Questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  13:13:35  Show Profile
Hey im new to this forum , so hello to everyone !

Soon i should be getting a corn snake , it will be the first snake ive personally owned although ive been round snakes now and then since little. Ive read pages of information on looking after a corn snake , and watched help and information videos on ebay.
Just a few questions so i get my facts right and keep a happy snake before i buy one.

1.Ill most likely buy a ready set up starter kit for a baby corn , how long will it be till i have to change it? The vivarium seems quite big for a small corn snake although its a kit assembled specificly for a corn snake.

2.Start with frozen pinkies yes ? Should i definitely continue with frozen prey after that , or would the snake be happier to chase live prey? Ive read that if they arent brought up on live prey you shouldnt feed them it as they are more likely to be injured by the mouse.

3.Ive only heard of corn snakes being fed mice , are there any other meals in there preffered menu?

4.If a tank if being bought from a shop,how secure is it likely to be?Should i weight it down with something on top? If so what sort of thing would you use?

5.How costly is it to run a heating pad or bulb? I always thought that they were electric sappers but are they ?

6.What do you use to hold the snake while cleaning the vivarium if you havent got someone at hand to handle the snake in the meantime?

7. Can you generally ask for a certain colour/pattern of a corn snake at a petshop or can you only get what they have? If so , how do you go about getting a certain pattern/colour.

Thats all for the questions , there may be more soon .. Any help will be great.From my expirience of forums people like to argue Please dont go mad if ive got something wrong , im asking these questions so i can care for a corn snake spot on.

Thankyou .

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  17:26:45  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
1. you sorta measure the size of the snake to the viv, by if the snake is lay along the back edge, aroundthe corner and can touch the corner opposite to the tail, it's too small.

2. never give live prey really, the snake will more likley be harmed.

3.rodents are the best thing, like rats and stuff accordingto size, but eggs and stuff are soemtimes given, but eggs aren't agood idea, cause they can have difficulty eating them.

4. make sure the snake ca't wriggle out, cause htey're fairly strong, so you need clamps or a ery tight fitting lid on a tank, or a good pressure lock on a viv.

5.not particularly. ask around to find the most efficenat, but make sure it isn't compramisingthe heating ablitity!

6.simply use a pilow case, doesnt har them and you just tie a knot in the top.

7. there are so many differnet morphs and colours you're gonna find one you like. keep in mind that some morphs are more expensive than others, depending on breeding and quality of the colour.

hope that helps!!

xx

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  13:42:26  Show Profile
Oh ok thankyou for your answers.
Ive another few questions for someone.

What age do you normally buy a corn snake at? Do you get them from babies? i would rather do that , just wondering if they cant be sold till there of a certain maturity.

If you buy them from a site , i saw one posted on here yesterday , one that delivers , how does that work? what will they come in? How reliable are these sites? and what are the prices like?

What should you be looking to pay for a starter set up for a baby corn , vivarium , heating , everything you need !
On the same subject , what do you pay round about for frozen pinkies and mice?

Edited by - n/a on 03/07/2008 13:53:52
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  14:07:51  Show Profile
for the frozen mice google 'frozen direct' they deliver & would be cheaper in the long run. Last time I saw a single pinky priced it was 40p - you can get them around half that in bulk.

google 'corn snake starter kits'.

babies are usually sold anywhere from 6 weeks old to a juvenile at 6months old. Older snakes generally will not be sold though. You may find some '05 s somewhere. the only thing with these is "why have they not been sold in '05 ?" maybe they have undesireable color for that particular morph, maybe they have been used for breeding (good & bad points for that), something like that.

the only way to see if a price is worth paying depends on the breeder, the colour of the snake, the morph/rarety, sex, availability.

they are picked up, stored over night, couriered first thing next day in proper labelled packaging. Packaging depends on the individual seller.

Most of the sites are well known & should have contact numbers, email addresses & street addresses.

Edited by - n/a on 03/07/2008 14:09:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  14:18:13  Show Profile
http://www.snakebreeder.co.uk/html/

stephen sharpe ^

http://www.crystalpalacereptiles.com/

crystal palace reptiles ^

http://www.rockingreptiles.co.uk/available_reptiles.html

http://www.shropshire-exotics.co.uk/livestock.htm

Edited by - n/a on 03/07/2008 14:18:48
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  09:10:01  Show Profile
Ohh thats great help thanks.
The local shops only had what looked to be a year or 2 old snakes.
Thanks very much for your help and no doubt i will be back on here soon with questions and posting pictures of my corn snake , vivarium and set up.
Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  14:58:40  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
hmm is that true about older snakes?
i bought taran when she was about 3 1/2

they never said why they didnt sell her..
she isn't a ery pure colouration though, may be it 0.o

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  19:25:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
older snakes tend to be more expensive as they've been costing the owner/shop/breeder money for feeding/heating/lighting etc. I bought 3 of mine as adults. There are benefits to buying older snakes as you can see their colouring properly, they tend to be established feeders, you can figure out their temperament, hopefully they're pretty calm and tame already too.

I've never know adult corns be difficult for shops to sell unless there's been a specific problem with it eg. snakes n adders 'imperfect anery' with the kinky tail!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  19:54:57  Show Profile
kinky ay lol
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  19:56:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
CB06 Anerthrystic Cornsnake (Imperfect)
[Pantherophis guttatus]
Our Price: £15.00
Common Name: Cornsnake
Scientific Name: Pantherophis guttatus
Origin: CB06
Sex: Male
Size: 24" Approx
Adult Size: 54" Approx
Keeper Experience: Beginner Keepers welcome!!
Temperament: tame
Biome: temperate
lifespan: 20 years???
Habits: terrestrial
Reproduction: egglayer
Sexual Maturity: 3 years???
Has kink in tail grown so far with no prblems, lovely temperament
This product was added to our catalog on Saturday 05 April, 2008.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:50:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yup that's the one blackecho! only when I went in to buy Petal the lad went to get it out of the viv to show me and it was...er... dead! They obviously haven't updated their stocklist for a while!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:57:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:27:54  Show Profile
It wasn't hibernating was it.....
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:09:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
no, it was stiff!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:24:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
It had ceased to exist, it was an ex-snake!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:36:47  Show Profile
Ha you thought I was serious lol corns don't hibernate
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:41:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You fool ;)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  22:05:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I know they brumate but how many of 'joe-public' know what that means??!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000