Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:01:25  Show Profile
I'v had my snake for almost a week and she won't come out her log. i havn't had a chance to handle her and she is due a feed soon. any suggestions?

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:12:12  Show Profile
just settling in still probably & nervous. Just give it time & try handling a couple of days after feeding her.

what are the temps ?

how is your tank set up ?

how old is the snake ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:16:39  Show Profile
Her temps are bout 24 on the warm side anod bout 20 on the cool. she's bout 2years, and the guy said wen i bought her that their is an 80% chance she's pregnant. am gettin a little worried bout her though. am i worrying over nothing?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:27:36  Show Profile
if she is preggers leave her alone & provide a damp hide box big enough for her to get in with space. cut a hole with smooth edges that she can get through. other wise she may lay in the water dish or becmoe egg bound. There is a chance she could re-absorb the eggs.

24*C is not hot enough needs to be around 30*C hot end with a hide at each end. you can put the damp hide box at the hot end but only disturb her to change the water, add water to the damp hide box. use vermiculite &/or spagnum moss but dont soak it. wet it all then squeeze it out so no water drips out then check it every couple of days to make sure it damp enough - spraying it would probably be better. she will shed before she lays so if she is pregnant she probably wont feed & will shed about a week before she lays.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:51:28  Show Profile
Thanks for all your help! i will set that up straight away. I have sphagnum moss and a heat lamp on the way. this is my 1st snake and a bit unsure. I know she will stop eating for 3 weeks before laying the eggs. but if i try to feed her tomaorrow and she doesn't feed, is it because she is frightened or pregnant?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  20:03:13  Show Profile
could be both i wouldn't bother but then how far along is she usually 45 days gestation. first couple of weeks should be ok but after that it's up to her response really as her belly is filled with eggs so not much room for food as all the internal organs are pushed up to make room for egg production & it would also be hard for her to poo too - well to pass it down & out lol.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  20:11:16  Show Profile
thanks very much i really appreciate the help. i'll let you know it goes tomorrow. its exciting for me too... never fed a snake before, i'v read up on it and watched the instruction video's. so here goes
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  20:33:40  Show Profile
another question. i hav a wooden viv with glass doors, i hav put the heat mat on the back wall on one end of the viv (as instructed by the guy in the shop) it doesn't seem to keep it to the required temp but i have a hat lamp coming, is that ok?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  20:51:14  Show Profile
If you use a heat lamp you'll need a thermostat to control the temp & most important a guard around the lamp to stop the snake coiling round it & burning itself. For some reason they dont associate the pain from the burning with the fact that they're wrapped round a hot bulb.

the mat would then be better on the floor at the same end to create a thermal gradient - hot one end & cooler at the other.

what substrate is in the viv ? newspaper ?

make sure your thermometer is in the hde where the snake is to get the correct temp this is easily controlled by a thermostat but may take time to adjust to the righ temp. (30*C). Then keep the thermometer at ground level at the hot end, if only using one, then you have a more accurate reading of the temp the snake is experiencing. keep the water either in the middle of the viv or at the cool end with the other hide.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  21:32:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I can't understand why some people recommend putting heatmats on viv walls??? you can't cover it with substrate to protect the snake from the direct heat, and heat rises so the snake gets much more benefit having it on the floor with the heat rising up the substrate and warming the hide too.

welcome to the forum fluxton5, moneymaker knows eeeeeverything!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  21:48:49  Show Profile
I'm sorry don't mean to come across that way - just like to help if I can
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  21:57:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
no, seriously you know your stuff!!!
I might be picking your brains about something soon......

Edited by - gingerpony on 01/07/2008 22:03:58
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  21:59:52  Show Profile
first snake and is pregnant. very brave of you. i personally wouldnt have got her, far to much to look after for me being inexperianced.

hope everything goes ok. lots of top advice available on here so dont be afraid to ask.

keep is informed

Edited by - dazb on 01/07/2008 22:01:12
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  00:08:27  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
im a mat on the floor guy, but each to their own, good luck with the snake

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  18:03:15  Show Profile
I must admit that i fell alot better that i'm not alone in this! I got a heat lam today amd will put the mat on the floor in a couple of says, i just fed her yesterday and she's a bit jumpy. I'm using aspen bedding for substrate
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  19:23:00  Show Profile
sounds good

they love aspen to burrow in.

do you have a guard for the lamp ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  22:20:31  Show Profile
dnt have a guard yet but i will soon
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  20:56:53  Show Profile
still not 100% sure if she's pregnant and she won't come out her log for me to handle her. i got the hide box and the sphagnum moss is due any day. every time anyone comes in the room she hides in the log
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  22:10:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if she is gravid then there's not a lot you can do about it now other than care for her as you would have done anyway. give her a damp hide to lay in (I provide my breeding pair with a damp hide all year round anyway) and after she's laid - IF she does - you'll have to decide what to do with the eggs and then feed her back up again and give her plenty of TLC.
Options regarding the eggs are either you incubate them, you bin them or get someone else lined up ready to incubate them for you.

sorry if I sound a bit harsh, it's unintended I'm just trying to keep to the point

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  08:41:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You could also just leave them with the mum to look after.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  10:03:20  Show Profile
you could if you wanted fluctuating temps resulting in mutated corn snakes which no one would want to buy, incurring you a costly vet bill & allowing possible mutated corn snakes to live in pain.

There's no guarantee that the temps would remain with in 1-2*C of what ever the temp is in the viv where ever the eggs are laid, through out the whole incubation period if left in the viv.

Not only that in such a restricted environment compared to a corn snakes wild habitat the eggs would be knocked, crushed or even upturned.

It really isn't worth it leaving them with the mother in the viv as well as a male too which would need a seperate viv anyway to give both snakes a break mostly during the spring/summer months when they're more likely to breed.

Edited by - n/a on 06/07/2008 10:04:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000