Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2008 :  19:09:14  Show Profile
I have a year old female corn - brought her home yesterday. She was due a feed today, and I was told she usually took two fuzzies per feed. She took the first one, but is not showing interest in the second. Should they be offered one after another, or should I wait a while? I've left the second in her tank with her to let her eat it when she is ready. Is this the right thing to do?

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2008 :  19:29:16  Show Profile
You can do as long as none of the substrate gets stuck to the mouse. The snake is probably just settling in still. Usually even if it is the snakes usual feeding day today, you would leave the snake for a week & not handle it (especially a day or two after a feed). I wouldn't worry if it doesn't eat the 2nd mouse it could happen at any time & this time is probably because the snake is in a new environment.

Good luck with your new snake.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2008 :  19:46:12  Show Profile
She was handled a bit before feeding, and didn't seem to mind. I got her for my son, and he wanted to handle her straight away. We'll leave her for a couple of days now she's fed. I put the mouse on top of her hide so the substrate doesn't stick. We're using wood chips - birch I think.
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  23:57:41  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
she might move around with the mouse in her mouth so the substrate can stick to the mouse

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  19:06:33  Show Profile
do you recommend feeding her out of the viv?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  22:06:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I use a Really Useful Box with some newspaper in the bottom for feeding mine in, that way they're less likely to confuse your hand in the viv with food and there's no issues with them swallowing substrate as previously mentioned by moneymaker.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  01:01:41  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
yes feed them outside the viv if possible

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  08:37:43  Show Profile
OK, next feed, new problems. As she only had one fuzzy last week, I brought her feed forward to friday, and she hasn't eaten even one mouse this time. I tried teasing her, and twitching it, in a different box, but no interest. I left it in overnight, and she has left it. I have noticed though that her skin is duller and her eyes have that slightly blueish look that I think means she is coming up for a shed.

How long will she take to shed if the eyes have just turned? Will she be hungry after? My friend's milk snake does this and is always ravenous after.

And should I bin the mice from last night as they have been out of the freezer for a day? I don't have any more until monday as my wife makes me keep them in the freezer at work (I'm a science teacher, we have plenty of unusual things in the freezer so no-one minds).

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  08:47:04  Show Profile
the snake should shed in a week. the eyes will go back to normal in a couple of days then a few days later it will shed. The you can try feeding. try not to disturb the snake whilst in pre-shed so don't handle the snake.

Yes throw the bacteria infested 24 hour + thawed mouse away lol

Edited by - n/a on 05/07/2008 08:47:25
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  09:00:21  Show Profile
Thanks for the fast reply. She'll be OK having had only 1 fuzzy in two weeks?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  09:43:33  Show Profile
yeah i mean some may eat in pre-shed but really it's best to leave them alone until they have completed the shedding process. The snake will be fine they are survival experts lol
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  19:31:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
It's only owners/humans that decide 'my snake will eat every whatever-day' in the wild they just take meals as they come along so don't worry too much about her missing a feed but I know that's easier said than done!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  19:58:05  Show Profile
Ok, Sophie successfully shed last night, all looks good, no stuck on bits, eyes clear. I offered her a mouse this evening, but still no interest. I thought she'd be hungry and would strike, but no. I put her back in her viv and left 2 mice on a piece of kitchen towel outside her cave. Is there anything else I can try
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  20:14:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Stop worrying mate, she'll eat when she's ready, leave it until Sunday and try again.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  20:15:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Wiggle went 3 weeks a while back without eating and then decided she was ready.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:40:36  Show Profile
Just checked her cage, she's polished off both mice and has a nice fat tummy. I'll leave her to sleep it off and stop worrying now.

Edited by - n/a on 10/07/2008 21:58:34
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:56:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Snap.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  22:04:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
See, now that you've edited your post mine doesn't make sense, people'll think I'm loopy.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  22:22:35  Show Profile
Some facts are hard to hide :P

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  22:57:33  Show Profile
For the record, I was comparing my son's feeding habits to his snake's. Not for the last time no doubt.

Come to think of it, can I get away with feeding children once a week?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  06:21:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As long as the food is no more than 1.5 x girth :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000