Food and feeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  20:35:06  Show Profile
Hi guys, sit back and relax this might take a minute or 2, as most of you know i bought Kirk a male Carolina on 12th May 2008 and he was a grown on snake just over 7 months old, when i bought him the nice man in the shop said he eats fuzzies (next mouse up from pinkies) and i should give him 1 every 5 or 7 days. Well i was feeding him as instructed and my mate who had snakes for years said try him with 2 if he doesnt eat the second one then hes full, he devoured the 2nd one as quick as the first, then my mate suggested he should go onto crawlers (Next mouse up from Fuzzies) as a snake should be fed food just a little thicker than the thickest part of its body so i did, now he is nearly 9 months old and eating 2 crawlers once a week, is this normal or am i over feeding him?? he does seem to be growing fast (in length)!!

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  21:35:04  Show Profile
A corn snakes size is dependent on its frequency of food source. So basically the more it eats the faster it grows. This is why some breeders power feed their corn snakes to make them grow quicker so they can be bred at a younger age. This is bad as they don't usually live as long as the average corn snake. I don't think you're doing the same though I think tht's quite normal for a snake of that age to be eating 2 small mice.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  21:54:29  Show Profile
I hope so i really love my snake and wouldnt want to do anything to harm it.

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  21:56:31  Show Profile
but should he have progressed so quickly??

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  22:58:11  Show Profile
I don't quite understand what you mean because like I said above the more you feed a corn snake the quicker it grows & you were responsible for feeding him.

If you mean should he be smaller for his age then again it just depends on the individual snake. Some get bigger than others.

Sizes are guidelines not exact measurements as are what a corn snake at a certain age should be eating, should weigh, should measure in length, etc.

As you already said, through your friend, your snake is fed a mouse just a little bit thicker than the thickest part of his body. This is fine & I would say that as long as the snake is not forced to eat meals & is not regurgetating then you & your corn snake are doing great & growing well. You never know he could end up being 6ft
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  23:07:22  Show Profile
Well im new to all this and i really only know what ive read in books to be honest. 6FT!!!! i dont want a snake as big as me or i would have bought a Python!!! i really hope your teasing on that one or Kirks going on a diet of 1 mouse a week

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  23:22:55  Show Profile
This male was close to 6ft;

This female (red) was close to 5ft;

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  00:14:54  Show Profile
The red ones beautifull!! but Kirks going on 1 mouse a week from now on!! i was told he would grow no more than 4 or 5 ft when i bought him!!! dont think hed fit in my pocket then LOL

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  06:54:50  Show Profile
That is true especially if it turns out female (unless you're 100% sure it's male).

But 6ft is possible but not that common, just over 5ft for a male is generally more common. 4ft roughly for a female is a general maximum length too - there's no excact measurements for every corn snake.

You mean you don't feed Kirk on mice injected with steroids ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  19:39:41  Show Profile
Ha ha no mate i dont i just give him plain common mice LOL the fella i spoke to today when i went about a female hatchling said the same they CAN grow to 6ft but its rare normally they only grow to about 4 or 5ft. When i bought Kirk the fella "poped" him and showed me his crown jewels so he really is a man ha ha

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000