breeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  17:44:03  Show Profile
hi i was woundering what age can i breed my corns and will i matter if there different ages also what is the best way to breed them because im thinking of breeding a normal + snow
thanks

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  18:34:52  Show Profile
Normal cross snow = normals het amel + anery.

18 months to a year if they're roughly 300g+

(youngest is around 10-12 months).

some people cool them for a couple of months some dont. temps are lowered with the length of light provided per day gradually as is the food, with about 2 weeks of no food before brumation.

Then in reverse, raise light photoperiod & temps. Feed small meals after a week or so then you will have to feed heavy & often but not food items that are way too big.

march,april or may time they might start showing interest in each other & the male might not eat when interested in breeding. The female will stop eating gradually as the eggs develop inside her, roughly 45 days gestation.

Then when the egss are laid feed her small meals at first working back up to normal sizes & the male if not eating normally by now will also begin feeding as normal.

The first time they might not get it right or you could still get infertile eggs. If the male were being used to pair with another female (can pair up to 6) then he may need a rest & feeding up a bit.

The eggs if incubated at 28-29*C should hatch in 10-12 weeks. Humidity 70-90%. check the eggs weekly to let fresh air in the container where they're cooking. first couple of weeks if any are yellow they're no good. Use corse vermiculite to put the eggs in mixed so you can squeeze it & water barely drips out. burry the eggs so you can see just the top & cover with a 'carpet' of sphagnum moss kept damp. The eggs will swell & dimple nearer to hatching.

The babies are best left for a day in the incubator where they hatched. They will be absorbing their yolk sac for the next week now & once they shed you can try with a small pinky to see if each one will feed. House them individualy which is best for feeding, shedding records or just to make sure which one doesn't eat, etc. Plus they can be cannabalistic towards each other.

From your cross of normal x snow the het babies can becrossed to each other or back to the parent snow (when similar in size) to produce more snows.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  18:34:52  Show Profile
Normal cross snow = normals het amel + anery.

18 months to a year if they're roughly 300g+

(youngest is around 10-12 months).

some people cool them for a couple of months some dont. temps are lowered with the length of light provided per day gradually as is the food, with about 2 weeks of no food before brumation.

Then in reverse, raise light photoperiod & temps. Feed small meals after a week or so then you will have to feed heavy & often but not food items that are way too big.

march,april or may time they might start showing interest in each other & the male might not eat when interested in breeding. The female will stop eating gradually as the eggs develop inside her, roughly 45 days gestation.

Then when the egss are laid feed her small meals at first working back up to normal sizes & the male if not eating normally by now will also begin feeding as normal.

The first time they might not get it right or you could still get infertile eggs. If the male were being used to pair with another female (can pair up to 6) then he may need a rest & feeding up a bit.

The eggs if incubated at 28-29*C should hatch in 10-12 weeks. Humidity 70-90%. check the eggs weekly to let fresh air in the container where they're cooking. first couple of weeks if any are yellow they're no good. Use corse vermiculite to put the eggs in mixed so you can squeeze it & water barely drips out. burry the eggs so you can see just the top & cover with a 'carpet' of sphagnum moss kept damp. The eggs will swell & dimple nearer to hatching.

The babies are best left for a day in the incubator where they hatched. They will be absorbing their yolk sac for the next week now & once they shed you can try with a small pinky to see if each one will feed. House them individualy which is best for feeding, shedding records or just to make sure which one doesn't eat, etc. Plus they can be cannabalistic towards each other.

From your cross of normal x snow the het babies can becrossed to each other or back to the parent snow (when similar in size) to produce more snows.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  21:10:26  Show Profile
dont know if this is a silly questions but its been really bugging me, can you not end up with deformed babies by breeding siblings or related snakes? thanx :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  21:10:26  Show Profile
dont know if this is a silly questions but its been really bugging me, can you not end up with deformed babies by breeding siblings or related snakes? thanx :)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  21:14:16  Show Profile
I can guess at no. Because arn't some breeds of dogs seriously inbred? I think that the more times siblings breed down the line the shorter the life span is, thats my guess.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  21:14:16  Show Profile
I can guess at no. Because arn't some breeds of dogs seriously inbred? I think that the more times siblings breed down the line the shorter the life span is, thats my guess.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  21:55:08  Show Profile
No. you just dont use any that are visibly deformed as this will weaken future offspring & would be very bad for the gene pool.

It's a good idea to breed new morphs into other morphs & normals though, to strengthen the genes & reduce the risk of what is now the down fall of the guppy fish.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  21:55:08  Show Profile
No. you just dont use any that are visibly deformed as this will weaken future offspring & would be very bad for the gene pool.

It's a good idea to breed new morphs into other morphs & normals though, to strengthen the genes & reduce the risk of what is now the down fall of the guppy fish.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  10:45:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by moneymaker

reduce the risk of what is now the down fall of the guppy fish.

What does that mean? sorry for the hundred and one questions

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  10:45:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by moneymaker

reduce the risk of what is now the down fall of the guppy fish.

What does that mean? sorry for the hundred and one questions

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  16:48:13  Show Profile
Guppy fish have been inbred for so many generations that the original gene pool has been destroyed & so 99% of the time guppys dont last long.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  16:48:13  Show Profile
Guppy fish have been inbred for so many generations that the original gene pool has been destroyed & so 99% of the time guppys dont last long.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  17:40:11  Show Profile
Aahh i have owned Guppy fish quite a few times and they have never lasted very long and i've always wondered why as all the conditions were perfect

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  17:40:11  Show Profile
Aahh i have owned Guppy fish quite a few times and they have never lasted very long and i've always wondered why as all the conditions were perfect

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  18:43:44  Show Profile
thanks for the info

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails