Mad Rosa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  10:28:16  Show Profile
We increased Rosa to 2 pinkys every 7 days and started this last friday, she took them really well, no problems. This friday after she had taken the first i offered her the second and she missed the pinky constricted on herself and took a bite on her side. Of couse Jazzy screamed and paniced so mum to the rescue manged to free her. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  11:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Cornelius bit himself last week, but not badly. He's just a silly sausage.

Think they just get so excited at dinner time that sometimes they make mistakes. Most people who have ever been bit by a corn admit that they put their fingers in the way at feeding time.

Is Rosa ok?

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  12:44:33  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
its weird but my Mystery doesnt seem to constrict when i offer him a pinkie. he strikes at it and just devours. should i be concerned?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  12:48:35  Show Profile
No, most snakes realise that its dead and figure its not worth the energy to consitict..mine does that..lazy snakes!:P

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  12:50:38  Show Profile
If you feed by using tweezers you can hold onto the food item when the snake has a hold & wiggle it a little, usually the snake will then constrict, thinking the food item is resisting.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  15:14:36  Show Profile
Rosa is in hiding at the moment, and as just fed i dont want to disturb her, she didnt seem to have any obvious marks when we put her back last night, so on monday i will get her out and check her over.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  16:28:02  Show Profile
chester doesnt constrict anymore. he used to wen i fed him in his viv now i feed him out of it he does not seem bothered. even wen i wiggle it with my feeding tongues. lazy little bugger:)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  21:00:26  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if anyone wants to save some money instead of forking out loads on proper reptile tweezers I picked up some BBQ tongs for £1.50 in my local supermarket and they do the job just as well

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  14:21:12  Show Profile
Maurice never constricts, and reading this made me glad

Hope she is less confused next time
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  11:14:47  Show Profile
Fed henry today, she was a bit loopy aswell. The first one went down fine, fought her for a it a bit and she tossed a few coils round for the first time with me. The second one was a bit odd. i moved it alot slower than the first knowing that she couldnt really be bothered to grab it with much force but she still missed 4 or 5 times. When she got it it went down fine, but after she was a complete nutter. She just wasnt gonna go in the viv! I didnt want to pcik her up because i could tell she would bite me so i grabbed a coat hanger and used it as a snake hook (which she struck at) which still took ages!

Also, a tip for people who snakes arn't up for eating. If you dont want to cut open the mouse, feed the snake on a peice of card board and dab the blood on the mouse on it (there is normaly some on the nose). let the snake go on it for a few mins and it should tap its tounge on the smears of blood. This will exicite the snake into striking when you offer the mouse.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  19:59:38  Show Profile
I never have problems with my Kirk he strikes and coils but he does go loopy for a while after!! i feed the mouse on a pair of fishing tweezers they were £3 compared to proper feeding tongs at £12!!

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  20:51:54  Show Profile
I use my hands...and their long mousy tails :p

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  22:56:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I use my hands...and their long mousy tails :p

I did that for years but when Birch and Spruce got to about 4feet long and were very quickly 'strike and constrict' feeding I CHICKENED OUT!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  09:13:31  Show Profile
Lol i mite try that when maurice is off pinks, tails are to small and pinks resemble fingers...How long are fuzzies tails while were on the topic?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  11:35:24  Show Profile
dunno, full grown must be about 5cm (im not going to measure it!). Henrys 4ft but not particularly aggressive when feeding, but there was no chance of me holding her to put her back in the viv! She was mental. When a snake bites a coat hanger, it WILL bite you :p

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  15:41:04  Show Profile
Lol maurice struck the glass of his viv when i last fed him, think he saw his reflection or something
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2008 :  12:09:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by moneymaker

If you feed by using tweezers you can hold onto the food item when the snake has a hold & wiggle it a little, usually the snake will then constrict, thinking the food item is resisting.

what he said

1 x amel corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000