Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How often should he shed? and other worries, help!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  18:29:04  Show Profile
Im going through a bit of a hard time with my snake Ed. In the past month he wouldnt eat weekly, only fortnightly, so he gets one large mouse every 2 weeks now instead of a week. ive also been having trouble getting him out, so have been letting him come out himself, explore my room, and then handling him. a few days ago i noticed he looked a bit depressed and thought it was just these changes, but now his eyes have gone misty and he is being exactly what he was like when he shed last. The thing is, he only last shed a month ago! he is approx 7 years old and 4.5 feet long. i cant see anthing wrong with his skin and he doesnt have mites. how often should he shed or is it these changes that have made him depressed? I am also worried about the amount of time he is out, as i can only get him out once or twice a week, he is having about an hour a week outside. this is because he glares at me and looks like he may strike when i carefully open the glass doors (this is not when in pre-shed mood). it is worrying me as i just cant get him out, when if i could, i would have him out every day. Help!!!!

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  19:04:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
he's just going through a growth spurt then...........

and i doubt it's depression, more like self-preservation while he's in blue.

and handling him for an hour is rather excessive - probably why he's not keen on being got out of his viv.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 14/06/2009 20:24:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  19:57:57  Show Profile
Hes not a youngster though, hes about 7 year old and very long!!! hope it is just a growth spurt, hope nothings wrong with him. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  20:25:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
although their growth slows down with age they can still have spurts if they're fed particularly well. for an adult male i'd stick to fortnightly anyway, what does he weigh?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  21:03:01  Show Profile
Not sure to be honest, have never weighed him and dont know how. i know hes not fat as i cant see his skin through his scales.
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  22:16:03  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
put a plastic on the scales and zero the scales the place your corn in the tub and walla you have your corns weight
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000