Summer 'Snakesitting' HELP!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  04:45:02  Show Profile
Hello all. I just got out for summer break and was entrusted with the classroom corn snake. She's thirteen and usually quite docile, but since I have brought her home, she acts like I am a complete stranger and keeps attempting to strike me.

I've been feeding her on her regular schedule, and she has her heat rock in her tank. It's at the heat that she's used to as well. I am not sure what action to take from here. I don't want to agitate her any more but I need her to become comfortable with me again.

Please, I really could use some suggestions on this. I really care about this snake and want to take care of her correctly...

(Apologies if I put this post in the wrong forum)

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  08:40:40  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
how long have you her at home??? is she still in the same vivarium?

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  09:36:13  Show Profile
Hello and welcome to the forum. Hot rocks arnt good for snakes (and most lizards). They are often break and create hot spots on it that can bun the snake. how are you measuring the temperature? and do you have a thermostat on the heat source?

What are you feeding her and how often?

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:01:28  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
i agree with matty (like always) heat rocks easily go wrong and burn the snake. could she be in shed? their vision is impaired when it comes to shed. how do you feed the mice? do you handle them? if so your corn will believe your scent is food.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:18:05  Show Profile
I use a thermostat to measure the temperature of the tank, but not the heat source itself. I didn't realize that heat rocks were not good for corn snakes... my teacher was actually the one originally using it in her tank and gave it to me to use. But I will measure the heat of the rock itself in the future.

I've had her in my home for about a week and a half, but prior to me taking her, my teacher had kept her in a new vivarium for four or five days. Does she need more time to adjust to the transition?

And when it comes to feeding, I was advised to use live mice because that is what she's used to eating. I usually undo the carton that the mouse is in and let it slide out onto the vivarium's bottom. I try to do this as close to the bottom of the vivarium as possible but have been struck at. I always wash my hands before making an attempt to handle her as well. I've been giving her a small mouse every 5-7 days like I was instructed.

I don't believe the problem is shedding because she did so about a week before I obtained her... unless I am under the wrong pretext of how often corn snakes shed.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what I am doing wrong with Stella with all of your help.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think giving her more time to get settled before trying to handle again is a good idea. A new viv and then a move to a strangers house would be quite unsettling.

I agree that hot rocks are dangerous to corns. They don't feel heat like we do and don't realise when they are getting burnt.

As for feeding, we don't usually feed live in the UK so can't say advise you on how to do things differently having never fed live myself, but maybe the feeding in the viv is making her think that anything coming into the viv is food, hence the striking at your hands?

Is the viv front opening or top opening? If you are going in from the top then this can scare corns, as in the wild their main trouble comes from above i.e birds. Always try to approach the snake from the side so she can see you clearly when attempting to handle.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm assuming that because you're from the states, you just get feeder mice.
Are the feeder mice a different colour??

It may sound weird, but some snakes have a colour preference.

I'd imagine it is just the transition between 'homes' that's dooing it.
How much longer do you have it?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  18:33:28  Show Profile
The vivarium is a top opening, but I don't believe that she would be freaked out by this because the one that she is used to living in is a top opening as well. Should I take a less direct approach and let her know that I am in her area, by moving her water dish or something similar, before trying to take her out?

Suggestions on what to use instead of a heat rock?

Stella hasn't seemed to picky as to the color preference of her mice, but I could keep an eye out to see if she tends to prefer a particular color...

I have Stella for around three months before a new school year starts, and am hoping that she'll settle before then. But I will give her more time to adjust because that is what appears to be the best course. It's just a little saddening that she's acting like she doesn't know me, because I took care of her in class and she was always a sweetheart to me....
Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  18:39:33  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
i would reccomend a heat mat or heat lamp instead.

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000