mat vs lamp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

116 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:54:21  Show Profile
Just got off the phone to 888reptiles who seemed hesitant to sell me their 'complete set-up' (http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2618&ProductGroupID=1286)

I asked them to swap out the lamp for a mat but he seemed to think that a mat wont work in a wooden tank as they are designed to go under a glass tank.

He also said a mat in wooden tank can be a fire risk if put inside a wooden tank.

I'm slightly concerned as my brother has this exact set-up with a heat mat inside the tank with the substrate on top.

Any advice appreciated.

Joe

0.1.0 Anery Corn(Noodle)
0.0.1 Spur Thighed Tortoise (Melvin)
1.0.0 Cat (Titus)
0.0.2 Fish (Caractacus and ThunderCleese)

Also in my care (temporarily):
1.0.0 Baird's Rat (Murphy)
0.1.0 Butter Corn (Molly)

n/a
deleted

116 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:57:03  Show Profile
apologies for the bad grammar on the 3rd line, I tried editing the post but got:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'rs'
/forum/post.asp, line 642

0.1.0 Anery Corn(Noodle)
0.0.1 Spur Thighed Tortoise (Melvin)
1.0.0 Cat (Titus)
0.0.2 Fish (Caractacus and ThunderCleese)

Also in my care (temporarily):
1.0.0 Baird's Rat (Murphy)
0.1.0 Butter Corn (Molly)
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  16:12:25  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
should always use mats for nskaies, as they cant detect overhead heat and hterefore cant tell if they're overheating for a lamp. Heatmats (good ones) are always protected and prove very little risk of fire, never heard of it myself!

They do work inside tanks, because htey're supposed to jsut heat up the substrate, and not the whole tank :)

This sounds a bit bitty and empty, so I'l let GP or Kehllyr Improve on it, but basics are there :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  16:16:14  Show Profile
It will be fine if used with a thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  16:19:56  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
heat mats are fine in wooden viv but must be on a stat with a digi thermometer to calabrate it. if you can find a piece of wood that burns at 30c that would be amazing lol. heat lamps are fine too. for my corns i use heatmats but with biger snakes lamps work much better.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  20:18:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
for corns, ideally use a mat running through a stat to provide belly heat.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Pooh Sticks
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2009 :  02:21:16  Show Profile
Hi, Mats are best for corns as they absorb heat from the floor through the belly and not from the air. Lamps just heat up the general air temp.

A mat will be fine in a wooden viv as already said it's only at 30C and are made to do this job anyway. You should have a stat to keep the temp at he correct level all the time plus this will also save on leccy as a stat turns the mat on and off.
Your brothers set up is correct, mat underneath the substrate, the probe for both stat and thermometer wasnt to be on top of the substrate where the snake sits. Use the thermometer to set teh dial on the stat not the numbers on the stat cos that's not too accurate.

If you want to try again in asking them to swap the light and dimmer stat for an 11in mat and mat stat they may do this. Or best advice is probably to get stuff seperately as it would actually work out cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2009 :  17:28:44  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I use a mat in my wooden viv and have never had a problem :)

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2009 :  17:46:49  Show Profile
Hi,
I have three corns and two are on mats and the other has a lamp and i think there both are very good my corn thats got the lamp is in a wooden viv and the other two are in seperate see through plastic vivs and i dont have any probs.
But it relly depeneds on what u feel is best for your corn.
Madgirl x.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  08:42:53  Show Profile
Hi in my opinion heat mats are far better for corns,just make sure you tape the edges of the mat down so your corn cant get under it.
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  11:56:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mako1977

Hi in my opinion heat mats are far better for corns,just make sure you tape the edges of the mat down so your corn cant get under it.

Be very careful if you use any form of sticky tape. Don't want snakey getting stuck to any edges that may lift.
Better to avoid tape inside the viv.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  14:11:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
more expensive masking tape (not the cheap cr@p) is actually quite low-tack and i use it without any problems so far for taping mats down.

definitely a mat over any bulb for the corns, reptile radiator for the Dums

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000