Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  19:33:34  Show Profile
Hey everyone, my corn is nearly 3yr old and female I think. A while ago I was told she could be a bit overweight as she was 550gms. I have weighed her today and she is now 610gms, and 4ft 1in long. At the minute I am feeding her a medium to large mouse once a fortnight, would it be ok to drop this to every 3 or 4 weeks? I get her out as much as I can she is on the stairs 2 or 3 times a day, and in the bath for a swim a couple of times a week, but she cant seem to lose the extrat weight!
All help gratefully appreciated
Cheers Su

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:05:48  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
i dont know much about the other things you said, but i think 2 baths a week is a little too much, as it can cause RI and scale rot.

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:43:23  Show Profile
the bathing is correct muppet;
Su maybe one bath every fortnight at the most.

the stairs thing work great; snakey on a diet. Not sure the weight for a female of that age though.

try it for about half an hour - 45 minutes (wild guessing here) a time.

and maybe just a medium weekly - fortnightly?

GP where are you lurking...?
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  07:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Her weight seems about right to me. Alice is 4ft 4in and about 640g and she seems the ideal weight to me.

Got any recent pics?

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  09:38:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Budaholic

Her weight seems about right to me. Alice is 4ft 4in and about 640g and she seems the ideal weight to me.

Got any recent pics?

Will try and get some tonight budaholic, theres a lot of white showing around her middle, i'm sure i remember someone saying to me a while back that she was a tad heavy though, maybe not i'm kind of a dizzy blonde at the mo - stress of beardies that wont eat and a snake that wont go up and down the stairs!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  10:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by SUSAN L HORSLEY

.....stress of beardies that wont eat and a snake that wont go up and down the stairs!

Try waxies for the beardies, I don't know of any beardie that would refuse those.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:41:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by SUSAN L HORSLEY

.....stress of beardies that wont eat and a snake that wont go up and down the stairs!

Try waxies for the beardies, I don't know of any beardie that would refuse those.

Mine did Kehlyyr, absolutely everything was refused! Had to force feed for the last few weeks but fingers crossed the little sod is getting there now - taking locusts so long as I dont watch him lol

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:43:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Budaholic

Got any recent pics?

This is the latest pic I have of her not sure if you can see what I mean about the white showing through her scales?

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:46:35  Show Profile
Yep, looking a bit chubby. How have you got the viv setup? Anywhere for it to climb?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  20:02:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Yep, looking a bit chubby. How have you got the viv setup? Anywhere for it to climb?

Hey Matty,
She has a moss hide in her cool end and a shoebox over a heatmat in the warm end cos the hides were too small! I have some pix on photobucket, but lately I added 3 logs that I have tied together in a triangular shape so that she has some height to climb, but to be honest the only time she does this is if I put her on it then its straight back to her hide the lazy bugger! Even when I put her on the stairs she just lays there for the best part of half an hour!!!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  20:07:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
definitely a bit porky! no offence meant!
what i'm going on in the above pic is the amount of skin showing between the scales like you said earlier. however this is typical of a gravid female towards the end of term............................. she couldn't be could she??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  20:09:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

definitely a bit porky! no offence meant!
what i'm going on in the above pic is the amount of skin showing between the scales like you said earlier. however this is typical of a gravid female towards the end of term............................. she couldn't be could she??

Would be a virgin birth if she was GP lol, she has never been with another snake, which I can guarantee cos I have had her for 3 yrs on 25th this month! Sometimes she is grand at moving about others (usually most times) not so good just lies there looking soory for herself!!!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  17:23:20  Show Profile
can anyone point out on the photo where you see the skin showing in between the scales having trouble seeing please, is on the second bend from the head, in guessing the white nearest is her markings

1.0.0 Tom a 10 month old Flourescent orange Corn 29 inches and growing fast

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  18:14:03  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
its on the part of her body nearest the camera. between red and orange. not meaning to steal this thread but mine has the same problem but when eatin. the scales seem to stretch revealing white markings. is this because im feeding to big of a mouse? although she seems to devour a small mouse.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  18:20:49  Show Profile
Lathers, if you look at the red on the saddles nearest the camera, you can see each scale is outlined in white. Thats the skin.

Brookestar, they are designed to strech while eating. As long as the mouse is roughly the same thickeness as the snake its fine.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  20:26:24  Show Profile
that pic of her was taken a week after eating too, so its not that she has just been fed either! Guess she's just a fatty. Gonna cut her mouse down to a medium every 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks bet she isnt gonna be happy!!!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  20:44:19  Show Profile
Hi Matty,I see the white,i just zoomed in on the photo, she may well be a lardo but the white on the edges of the saddles look like markings to me, isn't the skin pink

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  21:16:39  Show Profile
The white around the saddles is the markings. Look between each indevidual red scale in the saddle, its outlined in white, thats the skin.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  21:26:09  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
ok matty just it doesnt happen with other snakes
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  21:33:09  Show Profile
yea i'm with you now just wanted to make sure i was looking in the right place so i could look at Tom

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  21:33:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

ok matty just it doesnt happen with other snakes

It happens with nearly all snakes.

Go to Top of Page