Lighting for my corn snake, Help!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  11:09:08  Show Profile
Hey, me again. Just another question, the light in my corn snakes viv is always on, but I've heard that there should be 12 hours of light, and 12 hours with it off, I have tried turning it off at night, but in the morning I found that the viv temperature decreased as before the light was turned off, it was around 82 degrees, in the morning after I had turned the light off, it was around 75 degrees. What should I do?

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  13:30:49  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
I'm no expert, so you'll get better answers than this, but I use a heat mat and a red light.

The heat mat is on 24/7 and gets the warm end to 28 degrees C and the light is on a timer that I alter so it roughly matches the length of day. This gets the temp up to 30 deg C. Both are attached to a thermostat to make sure it doesn't get too warm.

Is the light red or white? Snakes can't see red so in theory you can use a red light 24/7 and it doesn't disturb their photoperiod.

I think there are quite a few people that only use a heat mat on a stat and get the right temps though.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  13:34:54  Show Profile
I think mine is a white light, which is why I was worried about when to turn it off and such as mine is not on a timer,
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

54 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  15:41:19  Show Profile
Get a red bulb. And make sure you get a stat.
I have got mine in his lil faun with his heat mat, which is inside a 3ft viv with a red heat light at the opposite end to make sure i maintain the right air temp as well as the right temp at his level.
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  19:12:21  Show Profile
What are you heating your viv with? Corns dont need any light. Lights are only in the viv for our benefit so we can see in the viv. If it is your only source of heat then it should be on all the time on a thermastat but a light is not a good way to heat the viv.A heat mat is better.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:06:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
from your/your mum's previous thread:
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by edgette1971

the set up should be okay because the reptile shop we got it from set it up for us.

don't bank on it!!

this is exctly what i mean!
ideally you should have a heatmat running through a thermostat (to prevent over heating) and any lighting is there for our benefit as owners, not the snakes. they need the correct photoperiod (amount of natural daylight) to determine to time of year to know when, for example, it is mating season. ditch the light, get a heatmat covering around one third of the floor surface area of the viv.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000