VIV too big?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  17:03:26  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address
Ok my mate had a 3 foot viv which he kept his corn in since it was a baby! His corn never got stressed even though you lot all say it should have LOL! I have a 27 inch viv which i am going to keep my first corn in! How can i stop it from getting stressed without putting him in a RUB?

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  17:21:02  Show Profile
LOTS of decor i.e. logs, plants, hides etc etc would mean the snake doesn't see just a large open space and would therefore feel more confined...

I'm not an expert, but if I was dead set on having a small snake in a big viv
then thats what I'd do.

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  17:38:20  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address
Lol just that i had to work hard to make my mum buy me the viv, and if i dnt use it for ages she would go mad! I would probably die lol

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero

Edited by - Chimp276 on 31/05/2009 17:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  18:21:54  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address
Aha why have 17 ppl read and only 1 replied lmao!!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  18:26:37  Show Profile
Like Mick said, put alot of stuff in it, i have a 3.5 foot viv, i have just put alot of stuff in mine, my baby corn does not seem 2 b bothered at all that it is so big, she loves it. Abit of advice as well, when you decide to put a big branch in the viv, think outside the box, i went to my local woods & found a nice big log with branches on & i just sterilised it, my baby corn loves it. Try & get a big log with quite a few brances coming of it as they like to climb. It saves you abit of money too :)

0.0.1 Snow Corn- Xavier
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  18:33:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chimp276

Ok my mate had a 3 foot viv which he kept his corn in since it was a baby! His corn never got stressed even though you lot all say it should have LOL! I have a 27 inch viv which i am going to keep my first corn in! How can i stop it from getting stressed without putting him in a RUB?

No-one says it should, there is just more chance that they will and we want what's best for them.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  18:34:51  Show Profile
How did you sterilize it Quib?
Nice tip ;)any pics??

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Edited by - Mick on 31/05/2009 18:35:05
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  18:44:22  Show Profile
What i did is just put the branch in a BIG bowl of warm water, not water that is to hot u cant put your own hands in, (so the hottish water would kill all the bacteria/ insects on the branch) & i put some washing up liquid in the bowl, i left the branch/log to soak in the water for about 30min & then i washed it down with cold water, then i just left it out in the sun for abit, let it dry out & then just wiped it down with a cloth to make sure it was clean, then i just inspected the branch to make sure i couldnt see any visable insects & tht. Erm im not sure if ive posted some pictures up already, let me check. Hope my advice helps :)

0.0.1 Snow Corn- Xavier
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  19:22:43  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
i got blake when he was just a foot long, and i had him in an adult 3 foot viv straight away, and just putting hides and plants in , he had no problems what so ever, the only scary thing was that a tiny snake in a big viv he was very difficult to find sometimes, he could be buried in the substrate , under any hide and there was one occasion where i spent all morning looking at him and then i looked up and there he was wrapped around the heat bulb holder at the ceiling of the viv (heat bulb wasnt on) lol

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  20:15:56  Show Profile
On logs, you also may want to sand them down too, as they hide in the bark aswell! If its too hard to sand, then chisel.
Not to sand of the branches aswell. plus chlorine bleach in a... (iforget the concentration) then rinse it through THOROUGHLY.

will find the link thats very usefull...
edit:/ here you go http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1761

Back to topic;

the general rule for the viv is length of viv + width = MAX length of snake.

If he's small enough, try a faun or RuB.

If you can't get them. PACK IT OUT!
Try everything, vines, logs, maybe some rocks? Never used but using the following method to clean up the wood found, should be done with everything you plan to put into your viv, not needed for aspen obviously

Stores may have missed the woodworm, never know!

If you plan to dunk vines, I've never used them so i do not know if they disintergrate.

Pics of your viv chimp, we could give you some tips :D

Edited by - hillzi on 31/05/2009 20:20:45
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  23:04:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Chimp276

my mate had a 3 foot viv which he kept his corn in since it was a baby! His corn never got stressed

how do you know??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  23:06:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by heatseeker872591

....that a tiny snake in a big viv he was very difficult to find sometimes

another very good reason to put your snake in an appropriately sized viv/faun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  12:04:28  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address
Ok i will do! I got lots stuff to put in there anyway! But i might get sum more! I need to get some plants as i dont have any of them yet! Cheers people

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000