Found lost corn snake - swollen face!?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  14:54:50  Show Profile
About 2-3 months ago one of my corn snakes from an 08 clutch did a Houdini on me and mysteriously vanished. Zombie (so named because he seemingly rose from the dead after I was sure his egg had died, and looked dead after he hatched) seems to have lived up to his name once again, considering there's 3 cats around the house, I didn't think he'd have a chance if we couldn't find him first. The oddest thing though, we found him outside!!!! underneigth some plastic sheeting. We had a full clear out of the room the tanks are in about a month and a half ago, not sure if thats when he got out? We found him with some dirt stuck to his face which I cleaned off, his eye looked a little whited over and swollen, I gave them a clean too, he can still move then and seems able to see fine. His face is also a tiny bit swollen, I'm not sure if this is becuase he's been living outside? Apart from that he seems to be in pretty good condition and is fairly active and alert. I've offered him some water and he's eaten, at the moment he's coiled in a hide and resting.

What could be the reason for the swelling and is there anything else I can do to help him with his recovery?

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  16:47:50  Show Profile
oh dear... well he seems invincible, good snakey!

He may have an infection.. or something else.

Maybe GP can shed some light on the situation
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  16:58:10  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply, he's certainly a fighter lol. I've got a picture now if that helps anyone who can help... http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r291/roundthetwist_bucket/IMG_1060.jpg there now seems to be skin around his eyes which I didn't notice before, i'm not sure if thats becuase i've loosened it up a bit?

Edited by - n/a on 24/05/2009 17:00:54
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  17:04:07  Show Profile
i can see his bin in the wars
what i would do is leave him in a viv for a week to settle down again.
and then see what he looks like in a week ,and go from there

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  17:16:09  Show Profile
Looks like an eye cap to me, sorry not sure how you sort it out.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  17:27:21  Show Profile
i have bin thinking about this 1
as his bin out side in the wet and damp could he have picked up an
eye infection
i have bin googleing for info on this
and this is what ive found

Captive snakes occasionally suffer eye infections. Infections may be superficial or more extensive, involving the entire eye. Superficial infections may result from mild injury to the eye. Superficial infections may also become established below a retained eye cap.

Infections of this type must be recognized promptly and treated aggressively to prevent involvement of the entire eye. The retained eye cap must first be removed if at all possible. Infections involving the entire eye may result from massive trauma to the eye or from septicemia (body- wide infection). In the latter case, the bacteria enter the eye by way of the bloodstream.

Veterinary help is essential with these cases. Treatment involves use of topical and/or indictable antibiotics. Sometimes, drugs that help to exercise the iris (the colored portion inside the eye) are used to help prevent adhesions inside the eye.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  17:48:41  Show Profile
So looks like it's going to have to be a trip to the vets then, not that I mind splashing out for my reptiles, it's just that the rep vet is a bit far out and we always get lost lol. I was hoping it was something I could sort myself but after reading that last post it looks like vets the only sensible option to make sure poor little Zombie recovers to full health. Thanks for the info dilly415! :)
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  17:53:07  Show Profile
Maybe some medication - recomend the vet A.S.A.P!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  19:20:08  Show Profile
i would be inclined to go the vet route also.

it could just be an irritation or something,

i am sure Ali will say the same or at least have an idea

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  22:15:27  Show Profile
Next week is the earliest possible we can to take him to the vets, I'll make another update once we've been and found out exactly what the problem is with his eyes.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  22:43:29  Show Profile
Good good!

Better keep us posted!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  23:35:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
anything to do with eyes is usually best off seen by a vet. if there's swelling there it could be due to trauma or infection, unfortunately it's difficult to tell as snakes don't show any real signs that they're in pain/discomfort.
short term (till you see the vet asap) leave him as quietly as possible in his viv.
keep us posted though.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  12:08:14  Show Profile
Fantastic news!! he shed last night, well atleast his face shed, this morning I had to help him with the rest of his body. His eyes look bright again and back to normal so looks like it was simply retained shed. He looks 100% better and still very alert and active so it seems he's going to be just fine. ^_^ He's resting now, i'll leave him for the rest of the week to settle and get used to being back in a viv :)
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  12:24:38  Show Profile
Sounds like great news Cat.
Hope Zombie stays well now.

Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  12:35:35  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
thats lucky. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson about slithering off and hiding!

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  17:56:52  Show Profile
thats good news
nothing worse than vet bills

you should rename him to lucky

Edited by - n/a on 25/05/2009 17:57:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic