Male, 5yrs. suddenly wont eat.....any advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  17:08:42  Show Profile
Hi everyone. im new to the site and i've joined to see if i can pick up any advice. 1 of my corns which i have had for 5 years (apx) without any problems has suddenly decided he isnt interested in eating. I have had him treated for parasites, didnt work. had him xrayed for impaction. didnt reveal anything. I have had the vet give him a barium meal to see if that picks up anything. the only other thing i have noticed just in the past 2 days is that he isnt shedding. he was ready to, all the signs that he would shed imminently just faded away, and im not sure its the second time in a row its happened. The female i keep with him since they were babies is doing fine so i dont think its environment related. Anyone got any ideas? its been about 8 weeks since he's eaten and im getting worried now, although he seems healthy enough otherwise, lively, inquisitive, no RI signs....if anyone can help i would really appreciate it. Paul

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  21:01:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
split up the male and female.
he could have gone off his food for various reasons such as it's the breeding time of year or bullying in the viv.
how many hides do you have in your viv and where are they (in relation to hot end/cold end)?

i'd keep them seperately, at least until this issue is resolved. with the male on his own i'd use newspaper as a substrate so you can monitor when he wees/poos. it means he should have both a warm and cold hide to himself (reather than there being competition for the best spot). give him a week to settle into his new home then try a smaller than usual meal. how often was he feeding and on what size prey item?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2009 :  01:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.

I'd go with what Gingerpony says for now, until Vets can definately rule anything out, it'll be better to keep apart.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2009 :  12:27:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
any more info paul.lowe?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  10:36:00  Show Profile
Hi gingerpony, thanks for the advice. I will try that. He is back at the vets this morning to see if the barium has passed through him or not. He started to shed at the weekend but it was coming off in little tatty patches so i gave him a bath and helped him. Re the viv, there is only one hide at the cool end which they both use. i have added another hide, but inevitably they both end up in the same one anyway. The female is possibly pregnant. she is distended. I have put a suitable place for her to lay in the viv a week ago, but nothing as yet, though she stopped feeding last week so i expect her to lay anytime. She's had 3 clutches of eggs before and it hasnt effected the males feeding habits, so if it was due to that id be surprised. Apropos bullying, I have seen her strike him once, but it was a few minutes after he had been fed and she was waiting her turn as i feed them separately. i didnt think much of it, she bites me regularly at feeding time. they both feed on rat pups, 1 each per week.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  20:32:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they need at least a hide each in either end of the viv. the fact that they're curled up tohether in the same hide could mean they're both wanting the best spot - so there's competition for it - bullying but not in a 'school playground' sense.
if you split them you can monitor each more closely. the female should shed prior to laying - this gives you a bit of advance warning.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  09:11:49  Show Profile
yes the female shed last week. how long after shedding will they lay? The vet said the barium had all but passed through, though it still had a little way to go but wasnt building up that would suggest impaction anywhere so thats good. he gave me a course of parafin just to be on the safe side though and a course of antibiotic, i think its called baytrin or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  21:52:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ha ha Baytril, the 'cure-all' for reptiles!
good news on the male though, an impaction could potentially have meant surgery, glad that's ruled out.

your female is likely to lay a week of two after her pre-natal shed. her laying box/damp hide should be damp and warm and a decent size (rather than cramped). have you got an incubator sorted?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  22:48:08  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
All hail the baytril

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  16:57:52  Show Profile
well, the male poohed all over my bathroom floor while i was giving him his Baytril so impaction definitely ruled out....and what a pooh it was. i think he may have been bunged up as i have never seen so much at once from either of them. So im hoping tonight he will eat something.
On the female side, she laid on Friday night so the eggs are now in a tub of vermiculite. they are in a large polybox with a heatmat and the temp seems good. my only worry is that she had used the hide but pushed all the damp substrate to one side and laid directly on the bottom of the box. by the time i saw her the next morning, the hads had shrivelled a little. I immediately put them into the vermiculite, but as of this morning they didnt look like they had plumped up much. Fingers crossed. I forgot to count them but i reckon there is at least 10 maybe 12 eggs. God knows what im going to do with them all if they all survive!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000