Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  19:58:07  Show Profile
Hi I was just wondering if you could x-ray your snake to see how many eggs there are,And would this harm them. I ask because there is a place on the coast that you can just walk into and have one done for 30€.any thoughts???.

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  20:10:30  Show Profile
I think ultrasound is a better and safer method but probably pricey!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  20:10:30  Show Profile
I think ultrasound is a better and safer method but probably pricey!!
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  20:14:41  Show Profile
It would not cause any harm to the mother but ionising radiation from x-rays has a detrimental effect on developing fetuses (it can cause defects in organogenesis [organ development]) and should ideally be avoided, certainly in the early stages of development. I have no idea what exposure would be used to produce a plain x-ray film of a gravid snake but as it is an unecessary investigation, I would not have it done. We always avoid exposing pregnant humans to x-rays unless it is absolutely essential to perform the investigation.

In the UK exposure to x-rays can only be performed when requested by a doctor, dentist or vet.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  20:14:41  Show Profile
It would not cause any harm to the mother but ionising radiation from x-rays has a detrimental effect on developing fetuses (it can cause defects in organogenesis [organ development]) and should ideally be avoided, certainly in the early stages of development. I have no idea what exposure would be used to produce a plain x-ray film of a gravid snake but as it is an unecessary investigation, I would not have it done. We always avoid exposing pregnant humans to x-rays unless it is absolutely essential to perform the investigation.

In the UK exposure to x-rays can only be performed when requested by a doctor, dentist or vet.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  20:55:48  Show Profile
Yes i can see your point and Spain is still 30 years behind the uk.they dont seem to bother here that much.you just walk in and pay your money

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  20:55:48  Show Profile
Yes i can see your point and Spain is still 30 years behind the uk.they dont seem to bother here that much.you just walk in and pay your money

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  21:17:36  Show Profile
That is true. You can buy many medicines over-the-counter in Spanish pharmacies that are available on prescription-only here in the UK, including antibiotics. It must be a haven for MRSA

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  21:17:36  Show Profile
That is true. You can buy many medicines over-the-counter in Spanish pharmacies that are available on prescription-only here in the UK, including antibiotics. It must be a haven for MRSA

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  23:08:50  Show Profile
Thay have just changed the law now as of 1st may and now you need the persc for most now.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  23:08:50  Show Profile
Thay have just changed the law now as of 1st may and now you need the persc for most now.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  14:42:32  Show Profile
i havent had it done a friend has but our local vet will do a ultrasound for around £30 pounds it should be about that per snake but our vet done 3 for that amount

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  14:42:32  Show Profile
i havent had it done a friend has but our local vet will do a ultrasound for around £30 pounds it should be about that per snake but our vet done 3 for that amount

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavoo
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  19:32:48  Show Profile
hi coolflow
I actually work as a radiographer taking xrays in london, england and this would not be ideal for the eggs or the mother. the younger a baby is of any species, whether it be human, snake or other animal, the more radiation may harm it in later life. the chances are you wouldnt see any difference but there are possibilities of infertility or cancerous growths later in life. it would probably be better just to wai and see how many came out :P ultrasound is a much better idea though :D

Lavoo
Go to Top of Page

Lavoo
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  19:32:48  Show Profile
hi coolflow
I actually work as a radiographer taking xrays in london, england and this would not be ideal for the eggs or the mother. the younger a baby is of any species, whether it be human, snake or other animal, the more radiation may harm it in later life. the chances are you wouldnt see any difference but there are possibilities of infertility or cancerous growths later in life. it would probably be better just to wai and see how many came out :P ultrasound is a much better idea though :D

Lavoo
Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  10:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Don't know about x-raying for eggs but saw this in a news story a while ago and downloaded this pic - a wild snake in the states had been found in a barn and had eaten some light bulbs thinking they were eggs - they had to operate to remove them:

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  10:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Don't know about x-raying for eggs but saw this in a news story a while ago and downloaded this pic - a wild snake in the states had been found in a barn and had eaten some light bulbs thinking they were eggs - they had to operate to remove them:

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  10:56:52  Show Profile
Not a very 'bright' idea lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts