Does he like me?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  22:21:07  Show Profile
Hello all, just need a bit of advice on my boys temperament. I have had him for about 3 months and he is 7 years old. his last owner said he was very placid and when i collected him he just took him straight out of his viv. I am finding that he doesnt show any interest in me getting him out, and his tail 'rattles' and he moves to get away from me. i usually end up waiting til his back is turned, then grabbing him. sometimes i cant do this as his head automatically moves towards my hand and i think he may strike. when he is out he is brilliant, no bother at all. he escaped once, my own stupid fault for leaving the viv door open, so he obviously wants to get out of his viv. I worry because sometimes i can only get him out once a week for about half an hour, he just wont let me when i try other times. does he not like me!!!?

i have been asking so many questions since i found this site, so sorry if im getting boring, but it is all for the wellbeing of my Ed.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  22:30:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
instead of going in to his space and grabbing him unexpectedly, try opening the viv door and waiting til he decides he wasnts to investigate. as he slides out support his body until you are fully holding him, and he won't even realise it!

otherwise you need to hone your technique, first go into his viv and change the water, that way he knows your around and you won't startle him. ignore him hissing and rattling initially , keep you hand moving towards him (not darting back and forwards with nerves) aiming for the middle third of his body.
ok, easier said than done for the first few times but we've all been through it at some point.
at a recent rep night me and kaz were undecided if we should reach into a RUB of 6 baby boas, sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  22:41:08  Show Profile
lol, ok shall try just sticking with it. its just when his head comes towards me i think im gonna get bitten! will just be really slow and take a risk! cheers
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  00:09:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
showing fear or hesitation when he rattles his tail is just telling him what he's doing is working on you,he will calm down eventully try gp's advice by letting him come out on his own.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  06:16:19  Show Profile
i have a corn that does this, but with regular handling and patience i am winning the battle, she is much better now than she was...

remember the corn is not in the environment it was comfortable in and you just have to give it time...

GP's advice is sound

bucket full of baby boas? did they get you GP...lol..

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  09:04:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

no, Lewy showed me and Kaz up, he just reached in and grabbed one while me and Kaz were having second thoughts

in our defence, putting your hand into a small tub with 6 or 7 of Pauline's baby boas, when you don't know what their temperaments are like.............................

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  10:12:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

no, Lewy showed me and Kaz up, he just reached in and grabbed one while me and Kaz were having second thoughts

in our defence, putting your hand into a small tub with 6 or 7 of Pauline's baby boas, when you don't know what their temperaments are like.............................

lol..i would have been with you and Kaz

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  16:33:02  Show Profile
GP's way worked ish with my male before I sold him, I placed my arm under him and he shot back into the viv.

I said the same to Theodor's owner (sorry forgot the username!)

Try gardening gloves (clean ones) to place him into a pillowcase and handle him through the cotton, that way he can't get you. Make sure you have sleves on incase he doesn't aim for your glove cheeky snakes are.

Say, hold him through the pcase for 5 mins for a while, then step it up a bit till he calms down, then soon enough there will be no need for the case or gloves again!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  20:32:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

handle him through the cotton, that way he can't get you

yeah you keep telling yourself that, like wearing marigolds for protection

psychologically it can help though

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  23:08:32  Show Profile
lol, cheers guys. had him out a few times since and as it seems like as long as he knows im there and i go straight in without hesitation, go for the main bit of his long long body (!) and ease him out gently,he may start to get used to it! im sure he will still have his grumpy days when he coils up and i cant get him out though!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000