New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:25:32  Show Profile
Hi all,

we have a baby corn snake & its getting more used to us and inquistive. We have a small viv, and apart from a coconut shell + the water bowl-thats all we have in there. My husband wants to get something else for it to have in there-anything you'd recommended or not recommended to go in there...... thanks in advance

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:35:23  Show Profile
Hi, What sort off heating do you have? You need two hides in the viv, one in the warm end and one in the cool end
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:38:20  Show Profile
Thanks :)We've got a heated pad, thats on the bottom with the subtrate over. We'll definately get another hide, I wished we were givin more advice when we purchased it.
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:44:25  Show Profile
Little snakey should have somewhere to hide in both the hot and cold end of his viv so deffo get something else for him to hide in (loo roll tube does the job nicely if you dont want to fork out for something flash that he'll outgrow in a few months).

My snakes also like vines that you can get from rep shops, you can mould them in to whatever shape you like and they will last your snake no matter what size viv you end up with. One last thing to make snakey a happy boy is plastic plants, these dont have to be specificly for Reps, just make sure they're easy to clean and don't have any sharp wires in.

Corns especally young ones like feel secure and have lots of hidey places so you can play around with things to fill up your viv, Flower pots, bit's of wood and even rocks are good too, anything with a slightly rough texture will also help snakey to get started when it's shedding time. Juyst make sure anything you put in has been steralised first.

Hope this helps.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:47:53  Show Profile
Thanks so much Tizzy-great advice!!
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:51:59  Show Profile
I purchased two at the same time and was given the wrong advice by the reptile shop. They were only interested in taking the money.As Tizzy said a loo roll tube might do but my two never liked it. I have got small cardboard boxes with a hole cut in the end.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  23:32:07  Show Profile
Ive used a loo roll that was squished almost flat with a bit of toilet paper stuffed inside, made my little one feel secure. I also have about 3 plants stuck to the back of my viv that make a little canopy/climbing frame. And most of the time fortunately, my baby is in my exo terra magnetic reptile den; half in the viv and the outside sticks to it to make the hide. It can be taken off to peek inside. I absolutely love it lol. http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/images/Reptiles/exo-terra/reptile_den.gif

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  23:44:34  Show Profile
Never seen one off them before Ninja where did you get it?????????
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  00:11:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

Never seen one off them before Ninja where did you get it?????????

Got the small one from a shop near me, seen em in a lot of places though. Got mine for £17, you could probably get em cheaper. Theyre real good and don't take up much space in the viv :) Also provide some texture for shedding.

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  20:11:49  Show Profile
Thanks Ninja that looks great!!
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.