New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  21:08:28  Show Profile
Hi,
My sons corn snake, Flame, escaped about 7 months ago and despite turning the house upside down several times and leaving water and mice out for a few weeks, we couldn't find it. It is 18 months old.
Today, my daughter was sitting on the loo and began to scream that Flame was under the bath. After realising that there was not a fire in my bathroom I saw Flame disappear under the bath. I put a bowl of water and a mouse out in the hope of it coming back which 5 hours later it did. My son picked it up and put it back into it's viv. It has had a drink (it put it's whole head under the water) but is not interested in eating and is very slow and subdued. I'm getting quite worried about it now and wondered if anyone has any advice before I go to a vet.

Lou

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  21:16:11  Show Profile
It cant be expected to eat straight away.

If the snake was cold, warm it up slowly. Dont put it in an already warmed viv. Leave it alone for a week just changing the water and see if it will eat after that time.

What temperarures have you got the viv running at?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  21:27:02  Show Profile
Hi, As we thought we would never see the snake again we turned the viv off so when we put it back in there this afternoon the heat mat had just been turned on so it has warmed up sort of gradually. It's now about 82. We thought that it must have died as it has been gone all winter. I assume it's been sitting on the hot water pipes for warmth. It's not skinny but hasn't got much fatter since it's escape. We can't believe how it let us pick it up so easily after evading us for so long.

Lou
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  22:46:20  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
yay, its amazing how they do survive, we had someone a month or so ago that found theres after they lost in last year in the autum

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  23:38:07  Show Profile
Congrats on the return of flame, i'm no expert on the subject but would suggest leaving him alone for a week or 2 to let him settle, just keep a close eye on him and try feeding him again in a week or so.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  00:19:34  Show Profile
Glad you have Flame back :) As everyone else said he's probably major stressed out and baffled about whats just happened. Also, after he's settled you might want to check for mites if he's continually refusing food.

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  00:25:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
What a result,7 months is a long un.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  16:39:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it was probably quite cold, warm it up gently - just letting the heatmat warm up from being switched off should be fine. give it a few days to settle in again, if possible add some ReptoBooste or CriticalCare formula to the water, then try a small feed mid-week.
if you're not overly concerned about her i'd give her a little time to recover and settle in before taking her for a check-up at your local exotic/reptile vet. if she's been fending for herself it's probable that she's picked up some internal parasites that are easily treatable - ask your vet about it.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  18:12:45  Show Profile
aww bless, glad you found your snake....

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  16:25:27  Show Profile
Flame has just done a poo so I assume must have eaten recently. We're so glad he's back. Thanks for all your helpful replies.

Lou
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  19:37:44  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Glad he returned and is doing ok :D

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page