help need some advice.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  01:01:01  Show Profile
does anyone no how to get rid of mites, i have tryed mite of but that only seems to make them calm down for a while, if any one has any advice i would really appreciate it.

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
all i can say is dont pull them, there are sprays you can buy that are meant to remove the mites but apart from that i reaaly dont know.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  15:23:36  Show Profile
Frontline is often used with mites (the cat/dog flea killer). I needs to be diluted and aplied with a cloth but I havent used it so im not sure on the concentration.

quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

all i can say is dont pull them

I think your getting mites confused with Ticks.

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  17:05:52  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
i got told not to pull them becoz it could pull out scales of the snake
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  17:41:30  Show Profile
I just found this on a snake site. Dont know if it helps: Mites and Ticks
Snakes are often afflicted by parasites, especially ticks and mites. Mites are very tiny creatures that are usually found on and under a snake’s scales, on the rims of the eyes, or around the vent. They come out of their hiding places at night and suck the blood of their host, which can cause a snake to become anemic. Mites are also thought to be disease transmitters. They can be difficult to spot, but their silvery droppings give them away, normally appearing on the snake and in other places. Mites multiply very quickly and can do significant damage to your snake’s health if left untreated.

If your corn snake has mites, place him in a covered container with shallow water for three or four hours. While he is soaking, thoroughly clean and disinfect his terrarium and everything in it. Remove the snake from the water and dry him before returning him to his terrarium.
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  08:51:59  Show Profile
btw- If you try it and it works can you let me know for future reference.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  09:59:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I used Frontline spray. I went to the vets and asked for the Frontline spray for cats.

I put 2 or 3 sprays onto a sheet of kitchen towel and rubbed the snake down, avoiding its head.

I then put the snake into a RUB on kitchen towel with disposable cardboard hides and a very small water bowl (enough to get its head in, but not enough to bathe in.

Whilst he was in his RUB I emptied his viv (throw away anything that cannot be sprayed or go in the oven at 160C) and sprayed it down thoroughly with the Frontline.

I repeated the applications to the snake and viv 2 weeks later.

2 weeks after that (4 weeks in total) the snake went back into his viv, all sorted.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  06:25:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I used Frontline spray. I went to the vets and asked for the Frontline spray for cats.

I put 2 or 3 sprays onto a sheet of kitchen towel and rubbed the snake down, avoiding its head.

I then put the snake into a RUB on kitchen towel with disposable cardboard hides and a very small water bowl (enough to get its head in, but not enough to bathe in.

Whilst he was in his RUB I emptied his viv (throw away anything that cannot be sprayed or go in the oven at 160C) and sprayed it down thoroughly with the Frontline.

I repeated the applications to the snake and viv 2 weeks later.

2 weeks after that (4 weeks in total) the snake went back into his viv, all sorted.

you should put your TRP sticky over here BE...

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:29:31  Show Profile
thank you every body frontline is the way i am going to go i think as i have tryed every thing else, thanks for the advice tho.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000