New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  12:46:06  Show Profile
We've had Bella two weeks now, and she last shed two or three weeks before we got her. She's been a bit jumpy the past couple of days and looks a bit dull for about the last third of her body but her head is still very shiny anf her eyes haven't gone cloudy. Do you reckon she's coming into shed? I don't know the signs as she is my first snake.

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

n/a
deleted

46 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  13:10:36  Show Profile
Sounds like she is going into shed, might take some time though. My snakey is about to shed soon, gets really stroppy when i try to handle him, anybody knows if its better to leave snake alone when its about to shed or u can handle them as normal?

0.0.1 - Anery corn
0.1.0 - Chilean Rose Tarantula
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  18:02:11  Show Profile
Wouldn't handle them in the cloudy eyes, I changed mines water, he went for me completely missed and had a mouthful of fake leaf.

If I let him smell me, he's okay though.

It's all down to owner preference. She sounds like she's coming into shed. Mine was dull for about 4 days, cloudy for about a day, then shed 3 days later.
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:05:49  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
ok here's the basics of the shed of a snake :

takes a couple of weeks usually. some snakes eat during shed and some don't. So it's worth trying, but if they don't eat, don't worry, just means they'll enjoy the first meal afterwards even more :)

Basically, they go cloudy first because their skin secreates a milky fluid that seperates the top layer of skin from the new skin. After about 1-5 days this milky substance gets reabsorbed, so the snakes apperas shiney and new again. This doesn't mean it's shed.

Anytime between them going clear and another week or so, the snake should shed it's skin. You might see it rubbing itself againt its logs etc in the viv, and you might see it soaking in its water bowl, but this is just to help the skin come off :)

When the shed is compelte, remove the skin from heh viv and check your snake over to make sure thre is nothing left on it. If there is some skin that doesnt seem to want to come off, give your sanke a warm bath, and gently rub it with a moist towel to help remove the skin, but by NO means pull the skin off, as this can damage the scales underneath. If it won't come off, try a bath again the next day, but don't give it more than one bath a day, because that can cause its own health problems!

Hope this helps Pixie :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Edited by - PunkAsF82 on 15/05/2009 19:08:18
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  21:53:17  Show Profile
Came back from a weekend away to a cloudy-eyed Bella. I am most proud that I worked out what might have been going on, all thanks to this forum. Win!! :) Previous owner says she sheds with no problem except a bit on the end of her tail, which I've already had to remove once (looks like he didn't bother; there were two sheds on there ) so let's hope she gets on with it soon and I'm there to see it!

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page