theodor bites...he is a scared snake.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  09:20:44  Show Profile
my new corn, theodor is almost 5 years old and has rarely been handled by prev owner.
he is a very nervous snake and does not like to be touched much.
he has already struck at my partner when he was stroking him.
i have only had him for 2 weeks and so far i have not been able to get him to feed.
does anyone have any tips on how i can gain his trust and handle him without getting bitten. i'm gonna have to clean his viv shorltly and i cant get him out.

does it hurt badly when a corn bites? i'd rather not find out.

New snake owner seeks advise from the wise.

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  09:54:33  Show Profile
we have all ready had this topic this week
check it out http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3493
hope this helps

Edited by - n/a on 15/05/2009 09:58:09
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  11:55:56  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
corn snakes bites dont hurt much. its more the initial shock of being bitten rather than the actual pain. if you do get bitten, it feels like you've caught yourself with a sewing needle or summat. but obviosuly, the bigger the snake, the bigger the teeth, the wider and deeper the bite.

I got bitten by my 6 year old milk and it did hurt, but not for long :) jsut make sure you disinfect the area very well, becuase snakies can carry samonella and staph on thier skin and in thier mouth, and you might get blood poisoning if you're bnot careful!

hope this helps :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

46 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  12:50:51  Show Profile
i think the only way to make teo happy is to start handling him, i know what it means to start handling a snake when its almost wild and hungry, but it was a baby snake it bit me for a number of times but now it's really tame. I have used a small handmade hook to get him out of his tank and to protect yourself )) u can gently turn his head away from you arms with a hook so it wont bite you, feeding might help as well but dont feed it in its tank. first few handlings will be hard, but then teo will get calm and u ll be able to handle it as much as u want. try to be as gentle as u can and dont be nervous as snakes can feel it, be calm and nice to it and it will appreciate it ))

0.0.1 - Anery corn
0.1.0 - Chilean Rose Tarantula
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  14:01:07  Show Profile
i did it. i made a hook and used it to get him out his viv. he was ok, but was breathing really heave and shaking his tail. i only held him for about 2 mins right by his viv. when he went back in he turned real quick and attacked my leg. fortunately for me he just got a mouth full of denim but i got a fright. i guess he was just letting me know he is no push over.
I'll keep at it. thanks to everyone for your advise.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

46 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  14:13:28  Show Profile
Shaking his tail generally means ready to strike )) good start

0.0.1 - Anery corn
0.1.0 - Chilean Rose Tarantula
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  14:26:44  Show Profile
iv seen ppl put there snake in pillow case and handle them in pillow case.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  13:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Well done on getting him out.
If he tolerated you handling him for a couple mins then only struck AFTER he went back in, it may be worth just doing that.
He'll gradually get used to being handled, and a mouthful of denim is no harm to either of you once a day.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  13:51:49  Show Profile
Lol, yeah, I'd use CLEAN gardening gloves (Seen some at poundland) to get him out, with long thick sleeves on (If he's not aiming for you hand, then a mouthfull of cotton won't hurt either.

With what PunkAsF82 said, it's the shock thats the worse thing, he will probably draw blood, just get some antiseptic on it.
I nearly pooed myself when I got tagged by my old snake. It didn't hurt and it wasn't expected but I jumped, worse thing was I saw him latched onto my skin and I didn't feel it.

So, try gardening gloves into a pillowcase then handle him through the pillowcase till he calms down. Also put a piece of your clothing in there (gloves/sock - preferably not a dirty one, nor a fresh washed on) so he gets used to your scent.

He will soon learn that biting gets him no-where. He's letting you take him out of his viv, keep going he'll give up soon
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  08:42:26  Show Profile
thanks everyone.

i'm determined to make friends with him. i'm sure he'll come round in the end.
either way...he has a home with me for the rest of his days. poor wee man has had enough shifting around me thinks.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  22:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Well done, and good for you.

In some ways, I think that getting a bit more feisty one, and spending time calming it down is nicer.
Obviously it's not nicer in the correct sense of the word, but it really can give a greater respect for the snake and make you more careful, yet confident as a handler.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  22:47:21  Show Profile
Nothing to add except good luck and good on you for trying.

Mutt, Mog and mmmm...Snake!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  16:47:49  Show Profile
well,
the good news is...i can now lift theo more confidently. he still don't like it, but at least he aint strikeing at me. the tail rattling is becoming less too.
Thanks again everyone. your advise has proved good.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000