some feeding questions... (sorry lol)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  09:34:14  Show Profile
Hullo boils and ghouls just a few quick questions for you....

Firstly, my 13yr old Corn (aquired on the 3rd of May) was being fed on 2 large mice, every two weeks.
is this enough? can she be persuaded to take rats? Is that even advisable?
Also, she refused her feed on the 8th (i offered 2 large adult mice, warmed ('til quite hot), i also flicked the noses to make them nice and bloody (and later, brained them)tried her in viv and in a rub, and left them over night all to no avail.
I am presuming she just needed a little more time to settle in.. does that sound right?
On a non-feeding related note, she has been blue since the day i got her (eyes are clear though) with no sign of a shed yet, she's also been quite bad tempered with me!
However relating the blue-ness with the non feeding, her previous owner said she feeds normally while blue.

Those are really all side notes, my main question there is when she does start feeding again, can i attempt to get her on rats?

Secondly, my tiny corn.
I've never had a snake so tiny, his/her previous owner was feeding it on mouse pinkies (which is why- i presume- it's so small for it's supposed age) i have upped it to rat pups 1 every 5 days, which it wolfs down, the rat leaves a nice lump but he/she eats it a lot quicker than, for example, my royal does. Litterally it is gone within 2 minutes. These rat pups ar MAHOOSIVE compared to Starbuck, a LOT bigger than his/her head (i really need to get him/her probed lol) so i thought he/she may have issues eating it, but they just slide down fine and move down his/her (gaddammit i'm just gonna say her from now on lol) body quite fast too.
should i start feeding 2 rat pups at a time, or try her on something bigger? should i even be feeding rat pups in the first place?

I am so sorry for he amount of questions :)
thanks in advance lol

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  10:34:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

Firstly, my 13yr old Corn (aquired on the 3rd of May) was being fed on 2 large mice, every two weeks.
Also, she refused her feed on the 8th (i offered 2 large adult mice, warmed ('til quite hot), i also flicked the noses to make them nice and bloody (and later, brained them)tried her in viv and in a rub, and left them over night all to no avail.
I am presuming she just needed a little more time to settle in.. does that sound right?
On a non-feeding related note, she has been blue since the day i got her (eyes are clear though) with no sign of a shed yet, she's also been quite bad tempered with me!
However relating the blue-ness with the non feeding, her previous owner said she feeds normally while blue.

Those are really all side notes, my main question there is when she does start feeding again, can i attempt to get her on rats?

Secondly, my tiny corn.
I've never had a snake so tiny, his/her previous owner was feeding it on mouse pinkies (which is why- i presume- it's so small for it's supposed age) i have upped it to rat pups 1 every 5 days, which it wolfs down, the rat leaves a nice lump but he/she eats it a lot quicker than, for example, my royal does. Litterally it is gone within 2 minutes. These rat pups ar MAHOOSIVE compared to Starbuck, a LOT bigger than his/her head (i really need to get him/her probed lol) so i thought he/she may have issues eating it, but they just slide down fine and move down his/her (gaddammit i'm just gonna say her from now on lol) body quite fast too.
should i start feeding 2 rat pups at a time, or try her on something bigger? should i even be feeding rat pups in the first place?

thanks in advance lol

Hi Cat;-)

my answer to the rats every two weeks would be why cant she be fed one every seven or eight days?

It may be that if she is in shed she wont feed anyway, some snakes dont...

I never feed any of mine when they are blue, but that is my personal preference..

it might be because she is blue she is being funny with you,

i would leave her alone till she has shed..

whats her temps like?

As for the baby, how old is he?

I fed Nia first on pinkies then i moved her to fuzzies and then upped that to two for a couple of weeks, and she is now on small mice...

as long as they are leaving a bump i would not be to worried, remember the size of the food to the size of the girth...didnt BE say one and a half times max or something..lol..

I think its when the bump disappears you have to up it, not sure Matty GP Or Lee might know or someone far cleverer than me..lol..

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Edited by - n/a on 14/05/2009 10:35:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  12:05:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

Secondly, my tiny corn.

thanks in advance lol

Hi Cat;-)

my answer to the rats every two weeks would be why cant she be fed one every seven or eight days? d'you know, i never thought of it like that lol, i was just going to do it the same way her previous owner did it :p i will try one a week though. but is rats okay? or is it best to stick with the mice she is used to? her previous owner said she has never had rats

It may be that if she is in shed she wont feed anyway, some snakes dont...

I never feed any of mine when they are blue, but that is my personal preference..

it might be because she is blue she is being funny with you,

i would leave her alone till she has shed..
so i will :D
whats her temps like?
temps are 30.2*c warm end, 24*c cool end. she's in a 3ft viv (same size as she was in previously) and has 3 hides, plants, rocks and large water bowl. the substrate is paper (again, as she previously had) i have tried to keep everything as close to how she had it at her previous house. she's in my bredroom, so not much in the way of general traffic to bother her

As for the baby, how old is he?
was told by previous owner that he was 2- 2 1/2 however i have it on knowledgable confirmation that she is the size of a 1yr old, no bigger than an 18mnth old at most. so his owners either got the age wrong, or she is very small for her age.
I fed Nia first on pinkies then i moved her to fuzzies and then upped that to two for a couple of weeks, and she is now on small mice...

as long as they are leaving a bump i would not be to worried, remember the size of the food to the size of the girth...didnt BE say one and a half times max or something..lol..

I think its when the bump disappears you have to up it, not sure Matty GP Or Lee might know or someone far cleverer than me..lol..

cheers Anne :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  12:21:33  Show Profile
hmmm!!!...lol..

i dont see why you cant feed her rats, i know others do...

wait for Matty or GP or even Kehhl...

when did she last feed? do you know?

my little corn Nia is just over a year now, but no bigger than a six month old...but she is slowly catching up...

T.0845 250 0020

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  12:37:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

hmmm!!!...lol..

i dont see why you cant feed her rats, i know others do...

wait for Matty or GP or even Kehhl...

when did she last feed? do you know?

my little corn Nia is just over a year now, but no bigger than a six month old...but she is slowly catching up...

yes, she last fed on the 19th april.
have you got any pics of Nia? i dont believe i have seen any of her yet ^_^

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  12:44:49  Show Profile
she is on here somewhere....i have new pics of her i have not shown yet, will get them up when i remember

she has grown..

found the link

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2653

T.0845 250 0020

Edited by - n/a on 14/05/2009 12:50:46
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  13:47:27  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
I've heard rats arn't so great for corns, as they are higher in fat and lack certain nutrients that mice have?
I'm probably wrong, but that's what I've also been under the impression of :)

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  15:49:15  Show Profile
see, i heard it was the other way around in terms of fat/nutrients. not heard anything about them not being so good for corns though... if anyone can shed anymore light on this i would forever be greatful :p

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  15:51:04  Show Profile
thats what i heard Cat, but is that maybe just for Royals...lol..

i cant remember

T.0845 250 0020

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  16:13:04  Show Profile
Hi Cat. I never bother trying to feed while in blue. If they feed, then great, if not its a wasted mouse.

I would feed the big corn 2 large adults every 10-14 days. I wouldnt switch to rats.

As for the little one, I would see if it can eat a mouse fluff and then take it from there.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  19:11:04  Show Profile
Thanks Matty18714 :D
Mistress must have known i was talking about her earlier, she just shed (i missed it unfortunately lol.)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  00:32:04  Show Profile
and she ate two mice earlier this evening as well. lol.
winner :p

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000