converting tanks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  11:40:14  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
right i have a 4 ft by 1 foot tank in my kitchen on stand was given by an aquaintance,was gonna be use for african land snails but will now be sliders home when she is big enough the lid is of no use as it holds strip light which will be binned and there is no sorta security on the lift off doors.... so does anyone have any visual diagram of making a new lid with sliding glass/plastic doors tht can be locked as want to include vents in it aswell..

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  12:30:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Does the top of the tank have a small ledge just below the top edges?

If so, I used a bit of old wardrobe door cut to size in my tank ages ago, with handles on to lift off.
When you have a near 4ftx1ft bit of wood as a lid, it's quite heavy and if snakie does manage to start levering it up like mine did once, i just put a small sliver of angle iron between the wood and the glass, effectively wedging it down.

Here how it is now:

Where i had to have extra wires on one side of the lid that could cause problems with regular moving/lifting, i used 2 bits instead of one. the split section is just to the left of the ballast box and switches.
The top of the glass is exactly level with the top of the wood, making a completely flush lid.

My old home made lid had 2 vents on it on each end, with a small PC fan blowing into one to allow cross ventilation. Old fish tanks aren't very good for air circulation.

It was on what is now my beardie tank, but i've now got 2 smaller bits of chipboard instead of one big bit.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 13/05/2009 12:35:33
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  22:34:21  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
hiya .. have looked at tank there is no lip its just straight glass the lip is on the lid but have to bin the lid, was just wondering if i can convert it ... ill try n sort out a pic so u can see what im wofflin on about , its a nice size tank so would be a shame to get rid, but my mentor is coming up next month hopefully n he has two corns in a wooden viv so ill ask him see what he makes of it.. cheers anyway hun.x

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  23:43:55  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
if you cut a peice of wood slightly bigger than the tank and fit some batons around the edge of the wood the lid will fit over the tank then.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  00:19:56  Show Profile
I was thinking about using aquarium silicone to stick some runners to the lid of my glass tank and then fitting some slidding doors, just like you would on a wooden viv.
Would that work?
I also thought about putting my tank on its side so the doors are on the front and not on the top so Acorn wouldn't get scared by being picked up from above. Might have to add a small strip of glass or something below the bottom runner to stop the substrate falling out when the doors are opened and maybe some kind of wire mesh could be added for vents above the top runner...
I have never built a viv before and am a complete noob so I'd wait to see what everyone else thinks, if they can make any sense out of that!
I might be able to draw a pic if you want but would be only a very basic idea lol

0.1.0 normal corn snakey (Acorn!)
0.1.0 Border collie cross (Molly)
0.1.0 Cat (Tess)
0.5.0 Japanese quails (Belle, Ariel, Nala, Beauty, Mary Poppins)
0.2.5 Tropical fishies
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  00:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
The idea of laying on it's side is good, but be prepared to keep watch on it, unless it's got a central support then the front/back (which is now the top) will be under greater stress.

I've got em on my tank, i'll try to get piccy tomorrow. easier to see than it is to explain.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  13:43:10  Show Profile
Ahh didn't think of that! Very good point!

0.1.0 normal corn snakey (Acorn!)
0.1.0 Border collie cross (Molly)
0.1.0 Cat (Tess)
0.5.0 Japanese quails (Belle, Ariel, Nala, Beauty, Mary Poppins)
0.2.5 Tropical fishies
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  23:01:56  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
have decided im gonna build a viv as have checked out the d.i.y section on the forum n reckon front sliding doors might give me girly and me bit a more confidence in eachother, as atm gettin her from above just makes her go into spaz mode n her freaking out int doing my nerves any gd either.So if anyone wants a 3.5ftx1ft fish tank(stand not included) then gimme shout.

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000