Is my snake ill?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  09:46:05  Show Profile
I have two approx 18 month old corn snakes, a red albino 4ft (male) and a white albino 5.5ft (female). They have mated a few times in the past few months we have had them and both have recently shed, however each morning for the past couple of days when I get up the female is lying in the water bowl in her tank. She hasn't eaten for the past couple of weeks and the male hasn't eaten for about 4 weeks. Can anyone advise me what is wrong with them and if I should be worried.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give.

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  21:27:32  Show Profile
I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I gather from trawling forums and the like, it can be a sign of mite infestation. Have any other pets been introduced to your collection?

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:23:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if the male's in breeding mode he's likely to go off his food, and same with the female. when did you last witness them mating? might be time to provide a large warm laying box for the female?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  10:04:03  Show Profile
The were last mating about 4-5 days ago. I have had a look at the female and I can't seem to spot any mites on her but I must admit I don't know what I'm looking, can anyone advise me how to spot mites or even possibly an image for them.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  10:59:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
to be honest i'd put it down to the time of year, use the search facility to look up mites, there's plenty of info on here about how to spot them and deal with them

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  13:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I would try not to encourage the female to breed if she's not eating well. They need loads of fat for egg development, so should be over-feeding a little rather than not eating at all.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000