Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:54:43  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Hi guys,
Im currently using my sister computer as mine seems to have a virus.
Earlier today it started running slowely and eventually got to the point where it wouldn't respond at all.
Well tonight I have managed to get a quick virus scan done and unfortunatly it has found one. A 'Very Dangerous' Virus
I have Kaspersky anti-virus software.
My question is, Where do I got from here?
I can barely do anything on the computer without it freezing up.
Luckily I have managed to get most of my photos copied to a memory stick so at least I know they're safe.

So how do I go about getting rid of this virus?
If its even possible?
Kaspersky is only giving me the option to 'quarentine' certain folders.

What do I do?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks,
Dan

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  23:00:05  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Try getting into safe-mode and doing virus check & anti-spyware.
If it still persists, back everything up and reformat.. Easiest way around it if the software can't pick it up.

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  23:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Did it flag up the name of the virus?
I've had to remove several virus' from my brothers laptop in the past few weeks (dubious adult education sites) and some of his have been incredibly severe and i've sorted those without re-format etc.

You will hopefully have gotten a infected filename and location with hopefully filesize as well.
If you can get me the filename of the infected file, and the virus name i could probably help.
If it even so much as runs I could probably do a remote assistance to stop the virus (wont remove it, but it makes it easier to remove when stopped).
How computer savvy are you? I was just wondering whether or not you had gone through the services and turned any off yet.
Also, are you running win XP/Vista/Linux and is it 32 or 64 bit. Likewise, what VERSION is the operating system as well, believe it or not, this sometimes makes a difference.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  00:04:38  Show Profile
Bloody geeky virus idiots why do they do it ?! wud say safe mode then I would recommend Avast , download here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html I had 3 trojans that mcafee couldnt find when I installed this it got rid of them & have never had a prob since I swear by it!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  01:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I have tried several different anti-virus programs over the past couple years, not got a fave yet.
But there are NO virus scanners out yet that can successfully remove the Vundo virus, except for Vundofix, and even that has to get updated regularly because of different strains appearing.
But if you have a decent firewall, you shouldn't get a virus. Again, that statement does not apply to security risks on Vista.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  01:33:33  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
yup u need to get urself into safe mode so that only neccessary drivers and services are running. from there run ur antivirus app. not sure if u can actually install an app in safe mode though. been a long time since ive done that. best bet is a reformat. oh you could try doing a system restore to a point that you know your machine was fine. if the virus hasnt gotten into your windows core then this will also work.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  07:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
You can start windows in normal mode with only neccessary drivers by opening and edit the windows config files.
Makes for an easier to use safe mode.
it's fairly easy to do, and foolproof. Just can't remember the command right now. I have a massive mental block.

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  16:56:24  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the advice.
Im panicking a fair bit as it has really made my whole computer run slow and un-responsive.
Im thinking its come from our other computer, An old-ish one we use to download music. I think that computer only has old anti-virus software which is most probably out of date. Lately ive been slightly careless and not bothered to scan the files before moving them onto my laptop :/

Anyway, I have a windows scan going atm. And unfortunatly, Im not very computer smart when it comes to these kinda things.
So how do I get into safe mode?
Im on Windows Vista.

What about the re-format? Does that just kinda put it to factory settings? Im happy to do that if it gets rid of the virus.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  17:01:24  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Oh and I cant see a virus name anywhere?

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  18:23:18  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
Kehhlyr the command your looking for is msconfig
if you dont know what your doing though i would personally go in there.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
That's the one ari, I had services.msc in my head but tha's the one I use most for diagnostic/repair which you HAVE to be savvy with.

Unfortunately Bluetongue, the re-format erases the whole thing and you have to re-install windows from scratch, so you need the installation disks.
If it was bought new from a shop, you may be able to do a fatory reset on it, as most have this option.
The MSCONFIG can be easily talked through, as just by selecting one option wont cause any harm, but it's if you mess about then you could.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  23:57:03  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
u cud always take it to the dreaded PCworld for repair lol. hate those guys but if ur not confident itll be the easiest way
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  10:49:37  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I use Malwarebytes anti-malware program and NOD32 and they are very good and reliable.
My brother got them for me and he's a very good compy tech :)

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  21:53:01  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Hi, Guys.
Using sisters computer, again
I ended up re-formatting my computer. Unfortunatly lost lots of my photos
Plus my computer still doesn't seem to be running properly.
I think now Im just going to buy Norton Anti Virus and try another re-format.

So yea. Im still alive and will come on when I can.
HOpefully be back properly soon

Dan

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  21:59:20  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
You should've backed them all up! :(
Don't buy Norton - There's much better out there, and your computer will never let you hear the end of installing Norton on it ^^

NOD32 is a brilliant program; can pick most things up.

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  23:22:51  Show Profile
I've been using Panda and have had no complaints. I've previously used Norton and McAfee, I'd personally avoid both. Sophos is an extremely good one but also very expensive.

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  23:30:21  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
ugh NORTON IS A COMPPUTER SIN!!! i wish id seen this thread earlier Dan. i couldv'e talked you through EVERYTHING over msn concidering my bf is an it technitian and builds comps etc.

Ccleaner. search it. its exellent. its the only thing i recommend alongside spybot (Y)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  00:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Shame you had to re-format.
However, if it's still running slow then it could be a hardware issue.

When you formatted, was it a complete erase of the hard drive? or partial re-format, back to factory standard?

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  09:19:56  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
just a lil question. i used to use random antivirus software but found if you downloaded the trial version they put there own virus on your pc and cant get rid until you pay for the licence. has any1 else found this

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  11:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
There are a few dodgy antivirus progs that do that Sexychef, some of them used to be quite bad as well. It'd make a bubble pop up in the bottom right telling you you've got a virus and to click the bubble to remove it, but then it downloads more dodgy software.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

I'd recommend that, i've used it semi-regularly for ages. Just click the 'scan your pc now' button, and in the new window, click 'scan now'. it's has to install a couple activex controls, but is one of the best online virus scanners there is.
It removes all dangerous threats without you having to be registered, but gives you a list of everything else (medium/low threat) so you can then just remove any other problems yourself.

Nod is good, but can cause system hangs.
Nortons is good if you want your comp to run real slow.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  18:49:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

There are a few dodgy antivirus progs that do that Sexychef, some of them used to be quite bad as well. It'd make a bubble pop up in the bottom right telling you you've got a virus and to click the bubble to remove it, but then it downloads more dodgy software.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

I'd recommend that, i've used it semi-regularly for ages. Just click the 'scan your pc now' button, and in the new window, click 'scan now'. it's has to install a couple activex controls, but is one of the best online virus scanners there is.
It removes all dangerous threats without you having to be registered, but gives you a list of everything else (medium/low threat) so you can then just remove any other problems yourself.

Nod is good, but can cause system hangs.
Nortons is good if you want your comp to run real slow.

high five for the panda!

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000