Hiding Corn and Questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  21:41:10  Show Profile
Well i posted in the Welcome section and now have a couple of more questions as im new to snakes.

1st
Is it normal for corn snakes to hide all day in his cave? (only had him 2 days)

2nd,
Was thinking of making myself a bigger Vivarium as when i bought him from the reptile sanctuary his actually bigger than what the guy said he was. At the moment i have him in a 18" plastic tank but his actually longer than the length on the tank.

So im thinking of making one 3foot long. What lights heaters etc would i need for this?

3rd.
Will be feeding him tomorrow for the first time. The guy at sanctuary said he eats 2-3 pinkies every week. DOes that mean i feed him 2 tomorrow in one go?

4th.
Do i feed him in the same tank as his kept in?

Sorry for all the questions, as i said very new to this and hear different stories from pet shops etc... so thought its best to ask on here.

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  22:07:57  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
If you've only had him for 2 days, he'll be settling in - He'll be scared and a little stressed with the whole new move :)
The general consensus is length + height (So for a 4ft snake; a 3ft long by 1ft high viv is fine etc)
If you've only had him for 2 days, he may not eat.. Due to the stress of everything new. I'd give him a few more days before you try to feed him; leave it at least 5 days, a week is better

As for feeding - It's best to feed outside the viv in a separate tank etc.
If you feed him in his viv, he may accidentally eat some of his substrate.. And that can lead to all sorts of bad problems :(

Questions are always good, the more you know - the more informed you are, and this is more beneficial to your snake ^^

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  22:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
It is quite normal for them to hide a lot, especially when they've just moved house. Give him a week or so to settle in, and he'll start appearing more.

Ideally the length of the snake would be equal to the length and 1 side of the tank/tub.
so if tank measure 18inches long x 10 tall x 10 deep, he will be fine in that up until 28-30 inches long.

I'd leave it about a week to settle in before feeding, but that's just a recommendation. But if you decide to go ahead with feeding, then give second pinkie just after he's finished pushing the first down.

Most of us feed in separate containers, to stop any risk of eating any substrate. This container doesn't have to be very big at all. My 5ft corn gets fed in an 18x12x12 tub.
Also feeding out of the viv cuts the chances of tagging as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  22:19:40  Show Profile
Thanks for the quick replies.

Least i now know theres nothing to worry about him hiding all the time. I know his abit cranky as when i got him he was abit strike happy, so today i have just left him alone and will do for a few more days till he gets used to his new surroundings.
Hopefully he will settle down.... touchwood
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  17:40:40  Show Profile
Mine is so lazy he sleeps all day. more often than not I see a little head straining out to get a look at me which normally means pick us up lol, so I wouldn't worry about it.
He will settle down in no time
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000