Need advice bad
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  23:57:19  Show Profile
I have always had a snake phobia but when i rescued the snake i have now i thought i would beable to get over that.The problem is i cannot get the snake to come out, apart from feeding.I did try to get it in a large plastic container for feeding last week by getting it and the hollow log it some times hides in out but when i tried to get it in the box this seemed to really upset it.It went for a quick spin around the bed and straight back into it's log freaking me out in the prosess.Does anyone have any ideas on 1.how to get over my fear and 2.how to get it out without annoying it because i either need to get over my fear or i need to rehome it to someone experienced.I had it 3 weeks now,it 4ft plus and iv'e seen it handled.

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  00:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Stick an t-shirt or pillow case in there, or something similar with your scent on for a few days.
Then progress to slowly putting your hand in there and moving the odd thing about, toilet roll tube or something, because then he'll slowly realise you're not a predator.

Unfortunately snakes can pick up on peoples nervousness, and he'll be doing that with you as well.

Buy a new pair of gloves (cheap knitted/woolie ones will do) and wear them for 1/2 hour or so for a few days, then start just putting your hand near snakie. He'll then pick up on the scent and he'll recognise it from the pillow case/shirt so will relax a bit.
Just then keep your hand near the snake for a few mins a few times a day, and he'll slowly relax.

Also, whereabouts are you? there could be someone on here that's fairly close to you that wouldn't mind meeting up and doing a few handling sessions with you to get you started.

My missus could never stand them at first, so imagine how she felt when she had to share a bedroom with them . She still isn't that keen on them, but so long as the 'business' end is kept away from her she's a lot better. And she is getting better every day, she TOUCHED one last week.
It's about perseverence really, it can sometimes be a long process, but the end result is worth it.
Lewy and Kaz, both experienced snake handlers are having a battle that they are only just starting to win with one of their snakes. So it does get better and you aren't the only one that's ever had this problem.
Unfortunately you get people like me as well, I grew up catching adders and grass snakes, so I learnt as I went. There's nothing better to help get over your fears than being 10 years old and bringing a near 3 foot adder into the house to show mum .

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  00:41:19  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
how long have you had the snake from. what situation did you rescue it from?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  00:48:11  Show Profile
I live in Rushden northhants and have had the snake 3 week
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  00:50:20  Show Profile
I just cleaned it's poop out and it actualy came to see what i was doing
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  01:04:21  Show Profile
forgot to say it had been dump outside viv and all and was really cold
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

46 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  01:47:54  Show Profile
I think its an honourable ting you are doing homing the snake. It would be good to ensure that you have his environment set up correctly though, temps etc? What are you feeding him, size and freqency?

All the above info is great, enough to get you on the road to handling him successfully.

I have had corn snakes that appear to be angry or aggressive when you attempt to get them out of their vivs or hides. I have always found that they are frightened not aggressive so i wouldnt worry about him tagging you unless he feels threatened, make sure you make slow purposeful movements, not jerky or irratic as this will stress him out. Try putting your hands in the viv at a very low level, not from above. Even if he looks as though hes going to bite when you attempt to pick him up her probably wont, just move your hand at a steady speed towards his body, not his face, and lift him gently. Its quite likely that hes then relax. If not he will try to get away from your grip, in this situation either place him back in the viv or try to hold him against your body so that he feels more secure. I also fine they need to wrap their talis around something such as an arm to feel more secure. If you manage to hang on to him for 30 seconds or so he will certainly calm down once he realises you havnt hurt him.

Remember he's probably been through alot with recent events so its always worth giving him time and space right now.

Good luck

Cheers
Jim

-- I'm here bcoz i'm not all there --

http://www.corn-snakes.org- My Corn Snake Website!!

Edited by - n/a on 13/04/2009 01:49:55
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  02:15:22  Show Profile
thanks all for your good advise.its viv is heated with a mat and it has hiding spaces it can get away in, although i will be adding some plastic foliage soon.It eats 2 large mice a week and has no probs with them in fact this week i'm sure it wanted more but i don't want to over feed it.the main prob is getting to handle it and i am going to follow the advice given and see how it goes, it is settling the longer i have it i just need to be patient and get it used to my smell.thanks again.Brian
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  09:09:30  Show Profile
Hi Brian,

Well done for rescuing the snake, especially as you have a phobia of them, you definitely did the right thing!

One thing you might consider is fitting a thermostat to your heatmeat so if there is a problem (they sometimes 'go wrong') it can't overheat and injure your snake...

Other than that, I think the rule with corns is that you just stick your hand in and pick it up - although I really do know that that is easier said than done! When we first got ours he was only about a foot long and still I daredn't pick him up at first - it's the way they sometimes flinch when you touch them, and turn their head - so I can very well understand that a fully grown 4 foot snake is a bit intimidating!

As you've seen the snake handled, how would it be if you were to sit down, make sure you aren't wearing anything long-sleeved (ours likes to hide up sleeves!), and get a helper to actually pick the snake up, and put it into your hands? That way you could get used to handling and you'd both get used to each other and realise neither is going to hurt the other!

When you're happy handling, you could progress to working your way up to picking the snake up...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  15:12:19  Show Profile
thanks neil.I have a thermostat i was lucky that they through everthing out it,s just the handling part thats got me stumped at the mo but i,m going to work on it today.thanks again keep u all informed on progress.Brian
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  20:09:52  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Yeh, try throwing in a t-shirt/glove etc in there.. Leave it a few days, and hopefully he'll eventually begin to roam the viv, and then you'll be able to go in and pick him up :)
Then once he's out, you'll start getting used to him.. And he'll start getting more used to you, so he'll let you pick him up in his viv a lot more easier :P

And great job re homing it, you may well have saved his little life ^^

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

116 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  10:25:15  Show Profile
Well done for rescuing the snake :))
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  12:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Good Luck Brian. I agree with what everyone else says, it'll take time but it'll get better when you've both got used to each other.

Even I was a bit scared when I first handled Cyd. I can remember holding her alright, then she turned her head towards my face and I panicked a little. It helped that Lewy thought it was hilarious, because it forced me to stop being a wimp then. Now I have snakes regularly wrapped around my neck and down my top whilst I'm just lounging around. You really do get used to the inter-action.

Take the advice above, there's some really good tips on calming your snake down. Keep us posted.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000