New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:24:09  Show Profile
Hi all, just recently joined this site and already im bugging you for help. Sorry Guys & Girls

The wife and I recently purchased Saber on sunday being told that thursday (Today) will be her feeding day, the shop owner gave us the basic 'How To' run through and said she's been on 3 pinkies per feed, and to keep her on 3 pinkies for the next 3 weeks where we should try a fourth.

I've been in too minds about following his word as his advice doesn't fill me with confidence. For example he argued the fact that sabers heat mat wouldn't need a stat or even a thermometer and after reading the posts on this site i've lost faith in him.

According to him saber is 2/3 months old (due to settling in I've yet to measure her) but a fellow corn snake owner told me his snake was only on 2 pinkies at that age, which has added to my confusion.

My main questions are- How long do I leave it before offering another after she's eaten the first.

And what do I look for to be able to tell she's had enough?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:40:43  Show Profile
I would feed it three pinkies today, and if it doesnt leave too much of a lunp try him on a fuzzy mouse 5-7 days later.

Dont worry about what other people snakes are eating, each one grows at their own rate

Offer the next mouse after he has worked the first one down half way of his body.

If hes had enough he wont eat, but if hes been eating 3 at the shop its likly he will take all 3.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:40:43  Show Profile
I would feed it three pinkies today, and if it doesnt leave too much of a lunp try him on a fuzzy mouse 5-7 days later.

Dont worry about what other people snakes are eating, each one grows at their own rate

Offer the next mouse after he has worked the first one down half way of his body.

If hes had enough he wont eat, but if hes been eating 3 at the shop its likly he will take all 3.

Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:43:06  Show Profile
Thanks mate for the help, much apreciated. I'll try her on three tonight.

Edited by - dkdesire on 09/04/2009 12:07:33
Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:43:06  Show Profile
Thanks mate for the help, much apreciated. I'll try her on three tonight.

Edited by - dkdesire on 09/04/2009 12:07:33
Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  09:51:55  Show Profile
Hi all, me again. Saber had her first feed with us yesterday, which was quite different. She seemed more content in rubbing her face over the pinkie than trying to eat it Lol.

But after an hour she managed to eat 2 (and not the 3 the shop owner said), although it didn't leave much of a bump, which looked even smaller a couple of hours after.

After the 2 pinkies she just curled up in a corner with just her head peaking out, so we thought it best to put her back.

I defrosted the pinkies in warm water, could this have caused them to lose their scent? I'll post more pics when I offload them from my camera.
Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  10:21:28  Show Profile
Feeding Time

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  10:28:09  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
looking at the last pic id say you could probably try her on a small fuzzie, i normally get my mice out freezer a few hours before an put the in a plastic food bag to defrost

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  10:56:20  Show Profile
Thanks a33272, I will try that, thank you
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  11:44:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if she's regularly taking 3 pinkies per feed i agree with a33272, it's time to try a fuzzy/fluffy

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  22:05:48  Show Profile
Update- Since her feeding on thursday, Her pinkie lumps are nearly un-noticible. Although while watching her earlier today I noticed that the 2 slight bumps which are just an inch apart are darker than the rest of her body.

Are they the still digesting pinkies? Or should they have been digested by now and its something else?

Im probably sounding like a paranoid fool, for which I apologise to everyone
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  22:18:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i think you could be
3 is quite a lot to digest, i can't believe they told you to feed her 4 in one go in a few weeks!!! she's probably still digesting them, i'd give her an extra day before handling then get her onto a fuzzy asap

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  22:28:57  Show Profile
Thanks gingerpony, I appreciate the help. Didn't mean to sound too noobish LOL just first pet and it turns out I'm a worrier LOL :-)

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going back to that reptile shop anymore. And I'll be steppin up her food size to a fuzzy soon as
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  23:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Hi dk, would you mind letting me know which reptile shop this was. We both live in Cheshunt and I want to see if its the same place I've been avoiding.

If you don't want to publish the name on a public forum, email me at budaholic@xpressalloys.com

Bud
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000