Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  20:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I haven't posted about this before now because my daughter has been reading these forums and I didn't let her know.

The story goes.............

Lila only fed on one fuzzy the week after I got her. Then she refused any other offerings. I wasn't too concerned as everything else about her seemed fine. Then, one morning a few weeks ago she was lying outstretched across the viv which looked unusual. When I checked on her, she was sadly dead.

I phoned the shop where I bought her and they said bring her body in and they'd examine her to see what was wrong. He was concerned about any infection understandably because he has some extremely expensive snakes in his collection.

I found out a few days later that she hadn't passed a mouse and it had rotted in her gut, effectively poisoning her little body.

The story I gave my daughter was I was concerned about her not feeding and the shop owner asked to take her back to keep an eye on her. Which led to him keeping her cos she was poorly and he'd find a replacement.

Well today, I picked up a beautiful adult female..... I think she's a Hypo but I'm not certain. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post em for the more educated among you to tell me for sure. She's about 3½ ft long and very, very well mannered.

There's also the possibility she could be gravid. She was housed with a few males in the shop and 'tis the season I understand.

She remains un-named at the mo......... So I'm open to suggestions.

One last thing I'd like to say..... I am extremely happy and impressed with how Glenn at Jungle Phase Reptiles in Hornchurch, Essex has dealt with this matter. He has even said I'm not committed to keeping this one. He said If my daughter wasn't happy with her then I could return her and he'd keep looking for a suitable replacement. But Nicole was quite taken with our new snake so I think she's staying.

Bud

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  20:29:54  Show Profile
Aww im so sorry to hear that :( im sure it was awful! Especially for your daughter! My 7yr old LOVES MY Corn and Beardie i couldnt bear it if my Corn passed away on me! But its good you got another one! Get some pics up and lets see :)

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  20:36:07  Show Profile
Sorry about the snake mate, hope your daughter is alright too.

Fair play to the shop, its good to hear about the good ones. Will you be incubating the eggs if she turns out to be gravid?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  20:45:13  Show Profile
my condolances bud hope the newbie is well
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  20:57:24  Show Profile
sad times :( glad your daughter is ok tho...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  21:47:51  Show Profile
What a shame, I was only just admiring the pic in your profile tonight!!!

But looking forward to seeing the pics of the new unnamed snake :)

Mutt, Mog and mmmm...Snake!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  21:56:49  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
sorry to hear that,atleast the shop was understanding.

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  23:00:30  Show Profile
Blub, that really sucks - big up to the shop though sounds like a very reasonable way of dealing with the whole situation. It's was bad enough telling my kids when a fish had copped it (firts time we spent days trawling pet shops to get a replacement nemo) i reckon you probably did the right thing with your daughter, mot sure what I'm dreading more, the day one of our scaleys of furrys kicks the bucket, or having to explain it to the bambinoes.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  00:42:18  Show Profile
sorry to hear about lila :(

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  01:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Wow, sorry to hear that.
Well done on the new snakie, and getting it to daughter without to much heartache as well.

And again, massive well done to the shop as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  09:53:29  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about your loss
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  11:46:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
so sorry to hear about your loss of lila

good on the shop though for being reasonable about a replacement and i hope the new arrival settles in well

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  15:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Thanks for all your replies guys. I was really saddened about Lila and I hate to think it was something that I had or hadn't done that caused her death. But I've been assured it couldn't be avoided.

Our new addition is settling in well. She's always on the move and doesn't seem to spend much time in hiding, prefering to lie in full view which is handy..

As I was just typing, I looked over just as she was in the middle of a huge yawn.....Cool... but couldn't grab my camera quick enough!

I've taken a couple of pics which I'm about to upload in a minute. There is a thread in 'Photos' now. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3063

Bud

Edited by - Budaholic on 10/04/2009 16:03:48
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Will you be incubating the eggs if she turns out to be gravid?

Oh , without a doubt. What will be the first signs of her gravidness? Gettin fat araound the hips I'd imagine!

Bud
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  18:16:46  Show Profile
thats really very sad, but i am happy for you that you got another corn, i just saw her in the photo section she is gorgeous...

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:02:22  Show Profile
You should see her become noticeably wider in the middle of her body if she is gravid.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:12:49  Show Profile
R.I.P LILA.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:54:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
and you'll probably start to see a bit of skin between her scales as she expands with carrying eggs. if she sheds soon let us know as they usually have a pre-lay shed then lay a few days to a week or so later. if you're near Leeds i could incubate the eggs for you as i'm all set up and running ready for Birch laying very soon.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  08:54:18  Show Profile
Really sorry to here about Lila.

That's the one thing I fear when you have children. They get so upset.

Glen is really good at Jungle Phase, they are just a short walk for me.

0.1.0 Miami Corn : "Flour"
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn : "Vein"
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Thanks for the info and the kind offer gp. Unfortunately I'm in Herts, do you collect?

Only joking, I'll make myself an incubator. Can't be too difficult or expensive!

Oh yeah and Alice is actually 4ft 4in, I just measured her. Absolutely no idea how old she is though.
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  10:46:12  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Sorry for your loss :(

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: