Finally active!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:25:26  Show Profile
I've had my Ghost corn for 2 months and 8 days as of today and the past few days she's finally started coming out of hiding and coming to the glass! I can't believe that it's taken this long. Next step is handling as I've had no luck whatsoever with that yet.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:35:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
why what's been happening when you handle her?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  01:29:48  Show Profile
Thats good to hear that shes coming out! Whoa 2months without handling is a LONG time i was holding Noodle after i had him 4days.. only thing is when you handle her if she hisses or strikes at you dont throw her back in coz then she will know that all she needs to do is strike or try to bite you to get here back in.. keep it to a minimum, maybe 5mins every day 2-3times then gradually work your way up. Sometimes now i will hold Noodle for about half an hour in the morning and at night, i got him in October last year Keep us updated and why not throw a few pics up of her. We all love Corns here :p

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:22:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

She simply won't let me. At the first sign of a hand getting too close she's gone. However, last night I was able to hold my hand up to the glass and she came over for a look. In the past 2 months I've seen very little of her aside from the odd coil on show. It took her a good week to stop striking at me and rattling. I think I've been a bit unlucky from the sounds of it.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

Edited by - n/a on 09/04/2009 10:24:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:22:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

She simply won't let me. At the first sign of a hand getting too close she's gone. However, last night I was able to hold my hand up to the glass and she came over for a look. In the past 2 months I've seen very little of her aside from the odd coil on show. It took her a good week to stop striking at me and rattling. I think I've been a bit unlucky from the sounds of it.

Edited by - n/a on 09/04/2009 10:24:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  16:00:20  Show Profile
VoilentJ, I think handling isn't something the snake decides that it's in the mood for (most would never be handled otherwise!) - you've got to bite the bullet and pick your snake up.

James our corn is pretty secretive, occasionally I'll see him out and about (hungry) or with his head stuck out of his hide (nosy), but if you move your hand near the glass or start to take the lid off, he'll hide again.

All we do is lift the hide he's under gently, then give him a few moments to get used to us, then pick him up.

Most corns (especially young ones) are only happen when they are hidden...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  16:00:20  Show Profile
VoilentJ, I think handling isn't something the snake decides that it's in the mood for (most would never be handled otherwise!) - you've got to bite the bullet and pick your snake up.

James our corn is pretty secretive, occasionally I'll see him out and about (hungry) or with his head stuck out of his hide (nosy), but if you move your hand near the glass or start to take the lid off, he'll hide again.

All we do is lift the hide he's under gently, then give him a few moments to get used to us, then pick him up.

Most corns (especially young ones) are only happen when they are hidden...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  19:27:08  Show Profile
Thats what i was sayin before once you go to put your hand in and she strikes or rattles, you have to ignore that and pick her up, i bet she will be perfectly fine once shes in your hand, its just getting her out thats nerv racking, Noodle was like that at first, running away, but you just need to go in, scoop them up and Eureka! She will be tame in a matter of weeks, now when i lift noodles hide up i just go pick him up and he doesnt even flinch. He loves coming out, its also GOOD exercise for them too. and she will get more used to your scent aswell

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:46:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yep you've just got to bite the bullet and pick her up. aim to get hold of the middle third of her body then support her weight fully when you've got her. you could try wearing gloves (for a placebo effect ) or try opening the viv door a little, sit and wait for her to have a nosey and if she decides to come out gently support her body until you're holding her.

where about are you? somebody on here might be local to you and offer to lend you a hand to get you both started?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  12:02:29  Show Profile
As i said before im pretty certain that once you get her out after a min or so she will calm down

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  20:57:13  Show Profile
I haven't tried handling yet as I'm having problems with my hands (long gory story). Thank you for the advice though. Here's a pic of her that I've just taken.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  21:09:41  Show Profile
Wow she's verrrry nice.

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked