heating and digital thermometers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  12:48:13  Show Profile
Okey doke, I have my new 11x17 heat mat, mat stat and digital thermometer. The mat stat probe I have on top of the heat mat, on top of this is a shallow lid with moss as Fred wont lie in the moss if its anywhere else! Though I am going to get another plantpot to put in the cooler end to see if this helps! So far I think the positioning is right? Now all I need to know is where do I put the probe for the digital thermo, and can i keep the unit outside of the viv? Oh and another thing - I was thinking of downsizing her viv - its a vivexotic 3ft one, was wondering if the 2ft one would be ok as there seems to be an awful lot of room in this one and perhaps thats why I am not seeing her out as much as when she was in her smaller 18in glass viv?

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  13:08:43  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
The digital thermometer I have has two probes. Both are inside the tank and the unit is on the outside. I have one probe on the substrate in the cool end and the other probe next to the thermostat probe on top of the substrate in the warm end.

I don't really know how the viv size would affect fred. My snake is in a 3ft viv and has been for years. I don't see him that much, although I can see into the hides a little bit so I know where he is. He's always been like that no matter what size viv he's been in.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".

Edited by - CAL on 07/04/2009 13:10:39
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  13:08:43  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
The digital thermometer I have has two probes. Both are inside the tank and the unit is on the outside. I have one probe on the substrate in the cool end and the other probe next to the thermostat probe on top of the substrate in the warm end.

I don't really know how the viv size would affect fred. My snake is in a 3ft viv and has been for years. I don't see him that much, although I can see into the hides a little bit so I know where he is. He's always been like that no matter what size viv he's been in.

Edited by - CAL on 07/04/2009 13:10:39
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  20:18:50  Show Profile
Thanks Cal, the digi i have only has one probe but i have the little thermometers on the cool end so that end is ok. I must admit she has been in this one quite a while, and i used to see her poking her head out quite a bit, its probably just because she is overweight and its breeding season!!!! I am still learning even though I have had her since she was tiny!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  20:18:50  Show Profile
Thanks Cal, the digi i have only has one probe but i have the little thermometers on the cool end so that end is ok. I must admit she has been in this one quite a while, and i used to see her poking her head out quite a bit, its probably just because she is overweight and its breeding season!!!! I am still learning even though I have had her since she was tiny!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  10:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
How long is your snake Susan? The size of the viv should be relative to the size of the snake, so if your corn is 3ft then the front of the viv should be 2ft and the side 1ft. Does that make sense?

If your snake is in a viv that is too big for it then it may be hiding a lot because it doesn't feel secure. But then again, it could just be hiding because it's a corn snake and it's their favourite thing to do

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  10:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
How long is your snake Susan? The size of the viv should be relative to the size of the snake, so if your corn is 3ft then the front of the viv should be 2ft and the side 1ft. Does that make sense?

If your snake is in a viv that is too big for it then it may be hiding a lot because it doesn't feel secure. But then again, it could just be hiding because it's a corn snake and it's their favourite thing to do

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  13:52:34  Show Profile
hi kazerella she is roughly 3 an a half ft long and has been in this viv fo over a year now so maybe its more to do with time of year? or that she is sulking cos i have cut her food down!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  13:52:34  Show Profile
hi kazerella she is roughly 3 an a half ft long and has been in this viv fo over a year now so maybe its more to do with time of year? or that she is sulking cos i have cut her food down!

0.1.0 Corn Snake Sunglow
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  13:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Probably- it is the mating season so all of my males and females are all out and about a lot more. Sounds like she's broody

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  13:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Probably- it is the mating season so all of my males and females are all out and about a lot more. Sounds like she's broody

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  14:12:12  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SUSAN L HORSLEY

I am still learning even though I have had her since she was tiny!

So am I and I've had Monty for 10 years!

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  14:12:12  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SUSAN L HORSLEY

I am still learning even though I have had her since she was tiny!

So am I and I've had Monty for 10 years!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  18:55:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

it is the mating season so all of my males and females are all out and about

So what other sexes are there?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
My snail isn't doing anything at the moment. That's Hermaphrodite.

Mind you, she's been kept on a nice hibernation regime this year.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000