Another feeding problem!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  10:19:47  Show Profile
I have just moved my three one year old corn snakes into a large vivarium together. They seem to get on very well and often sleep together so they are not frightened of one another. I have two females and one male, and the male has always been a bit of a wimp! When it comes to feeding time, the females snatch their food and coil themselves around it, however the male has always been frightened of his food so I have always just placed it gently in the tank - he also hates being handled and is generally a bt odd. He usually eats it within 5 minutes. The first few weeks of moving into the large vivarium I would feed them separately in their old vivariums as advised. He would eat initially but after 3 weeks he has stopped eating. The other day I decided to take the females out and leave him in the vivarium incase removing him for a feed was causing him stress. I placed the mouse right next to him but after hours of waiting he still would not eat. He has not eaten for 4 weeks now.
I was led to believe that they are too young to mate - is this right? The other day he and a female were body to body and their tales were wiggling strangely but I don't know if that was mating or just coincidence. If he can mate then I understand that males often go off their food. Lastly, he used to always hide and never come out of his bed but recently he never goes into his bed and stays out which is strange as he is so timid. Any help appreciated and sorry for waffling.

P.S. I have done the usual, heating, braining etc..

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  11:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think I would move him back to his old viv a.s.a.p!

I think it is possible for them to mate at that age, but they are far too young to -(like in humans- it's possible for a girl to get pregnant at 12, but in reality she's far too young to be a mum.

I'd be a bit worried if I had seen them twisting tails. It probably is an attempt to mate, but hopefully, if they are young enough, it won't have worked. Keep an eye on her just in case, because she will need to go to the vets if she is gravid.

If the male isn't eating, he might just not like being so close to the females. Keep him in his old viv and hopefully he'll settle down and start eating again soon.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  14:52:18  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
sounds like you caught him on the job

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page