Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  17:13:32  Show Profile
Hey,

I can't find the previous topics about this so can someone tell me how to deal with a really bad shed?
I've put him in the bath and run him through a towel but that didn't really work so I've put a large water bowl in with him but is there anything else I can do to help him along?

peace

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  18:12:18  Show Profile
how much is left? have you tried removing shed with your fingers?

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  18:35:47  Show Profile
basically his back half is really patchy, ive tried removing a bit of it but he seemed to be quite stressed about the whole situation so i thought i'd assess it tomorrow after giving him a bit more humidity to sort it himself...
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  18:40:17  Show Profile
Dont "peel" a snake. You could put it in a damp (and warm) pillow case for 15 mins.

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  20:18:22  Show Profile
that sounds like it might work... i'll get on that...
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  14:39:26  Show Profile
Well ive been at the bad shed today and through bathing him and the pillow case idea i've managed to get most of it off, just the last 1.5-2 inches of his tail left but i thought i'd leave that until tomorrow to give him some time to chill... it was stressful for both of us i fear :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  21:24:52  Show Profile
James had a really bad shed a few weeks ago and he looked very stressed about it.

I put in a small tupperware container which was sealed shut apart from two holes I'd cut in either side, and filled it with wet sphagnum moss which I bought from Homebase (for hanging baskets!) - it had been frozen then thawed with boiling water to help kill any nasties that might have been in it.

I think he instinctively knew what to do as that night I couldn't find him then realised he was in the wet hide... The next day I saw him and he was perfectly shed apart from a couple of mm on his tail which I helped off with warm wet paper towel (hold it flat, let him slither through it, grip it slightly tighter as his tail passed through)... didn't stress him too much.

This most recent shed he's had, I put the damp hide in as soon as I noticed his eyes start to cloud... he spent most of the week in there, then shed completely I was so chuffed - his first perfect shed!

I also have a hygrometer so I know how humid it is and I try and keep it 45% - 50%.

Putting him in a damp pillow case tied closed, then putting that in his tank over the heatmat should help raise humidity and his slithering about should help with the tailtip...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000