tail dead
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  19:48:28  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
ok the tip of skittes tail hasnt shed the last 3 times. it is now black and dead basically. do i leave it or will it fall off or what. its about 3mm of the top of his tail.

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  19:54:41  Show Profile
have you not helped it with the last bit?

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  19:58:06  Show Profile
It could fall off, if it does make sure the tip is clean. Did you not remove the shed from the tail after each shed? Is there still some on the tail?

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  20:06:36  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
i tried bathing him in water about 6 times after it didnt shed it but it didnt come off and if i touched it at all he flicked his tail and tried to get away.

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  11:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think it would just drop off, but I would go to the vets just in case. You don't want it spreading further up the snake.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  11:25:18  Show Profile
if this happens again you need to assist in getting it off. bath the snake for a while then gently run your fingers down the tail and roll of the shed off. the snake may not like it too much but it has to be done...especially with the tail...

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  18:21:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i must admit i'm quite appalled that it's come to this but yes, it should drop off by itself. if the stump is sore then it needs treating with something antiseptic like Tamodine.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  18:47:35  Show Profile
Ramesses has still not shed the last tiny bit of his tail and I have been trying to help him out for the last three days, gradually getting more and more off, seeing this has made me decide that if I can't do the final bit tomorrow I am gonna take him to the vet...
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  20:45:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if it's that desperate Jono mist the viv twice daily for 2-3 days, ONLY give him the option of a damp hide in either end of his viv, get some ShedAid if you can too. after 2-3 days try giving him a long bath again, 20 mins, then get a flannel while he's still in the bath and have another go at it.
basically sod everything we normally tell you regarding humidity!! get it right up to soften the stuck shed over a few days then a bath should finish it off. BUT increasing humidity this much on a long-term basis is detrimental to the health of your cornsnake, increasing the likelihood of problems such as RIs and scale rot and mouth rot.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  20:45:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if it's that desperate Jono mist the viv twice daily for 2-3 days, ONLY give him the option of a damp hide in either end of his viv, get some ShedAid if you can too. after 2-3 days try giving him a long bath again, 20 mins, then get a flannel while he's still in the bath and have another go at it.
basically sod everything we normally tell you regarding humidity!! get it right up to soften the stuck shed over a few days then a bath should finish it off. BUT increasing humidity this much on a long-term basis is detrimental to the health of your cornsnake, increasing the likelihood of problems such as RIs and scale rot and mouth rot.

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  23:53:54  Show Profile
thanks gp... i'll get started on all that now... am gonna get some spagnum moss tomorrow and order some shedaid now...
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  23:53:54  Show Profile
thanks gp... i'll get started on all that now... am gonna get some spagnum moss tomorrow and order some shedaid now...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000