New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

116 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  13:07:47  Show Profile
Hi everybody.

I'm writing to you, because I need your help. I am getting my very first corn snake tomorrow. I'm very excited, but also totally nervous !!! I got a 18' on 18' on 12' wooden tank with one glas pannel, but I'm not sure if I set it up properly. I would appreciate it so much if you could give me some tips and advice !

I put a 7' on 8' heat mat directly on the floor of the tank. Is this advisable, or should I stick the heat mat on one of the side panels of the tank ? The heat mat is regulated by a thermostat, which keeps it around 30C°. Will this be ok for the snake ? Or should I put one additional heat mat in the tank ? Where is the best place to put the thermometre ? Is it best to use 2 thermometres, one for the hot side, one for the cold side ? Do I need to lower the temparature during the night, or shall I leave it as it is the whole time ? I covered the floor of the tank and the heat mat with a thin layer of wooden chips, is this ok ? There is also a snake cave, another little hiding space, a branch for the snake to climb on and plastic leaves. There's also a little ceramic water dish. Have I forgotten something ?

I'm pretty sure you noticed that I don't know what I'm doing at all lol. So far, I've received very poor advice. I contacted several pet stores, but everybody seems to contradict themselves ! I came accross this website today, and it looks very professonal. :) I added it in my favourites straight away.

I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Many thanks :)

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  15:31:58  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address

your heat mat should cover a third of the floor area of the viv and your thermometer should be placed above it on the bedding,there is no need for a additional mat.2 thermometers are best 1 for the warm end and 1 for the cool.most people dont adjust there temps at night.the rest of the set up seems fine,but what bedding are you using.you could also have a look at the care sheet on the home page for more advice.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000