First herp of the year (Field Herping)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  23:05:54  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address

Slow Worm - Anguis fragilis

And a cool little spider, Which I think 'could' be Amaurobius similis

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  23:56:23  Show Profile
Nice first one ive seen got Grass Snakes near me gonna try and catch one this year and take a few pic's..

0.1.0 Amel Slinky
1.0.0 Normal Motley Charlie
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  02:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm after an adder this year.
Think that'll be interesting to look at for a few days. We've got loads near us.

Did the slowy drop the horrible stenchy stuff when you picked it up?
Weird lizards they are.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  11:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Woah Slow worm- what a find!!!

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  12:22:52  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I'm after an adder this year.
Think that'll be interesting to look at for a few days. We've got loads near us.

Did the slowy drop the horrible stenchy stuff when you picked it up?
Weird lizards they are.

ya, me too.
Found a very young one last year, hoping for a larger one this year.
Yep, sure did

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  12:47:41  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
we have tonnes of slow owrms round here. They're fairly common round south...well... not common... more common than anywhere else

I see at least one a week during the summer. Got musked by one last year lol

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  19:23:05  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i think slow worms are great,aint seen one for years,used to go out getting them when i as little.I know that there lizards without legs but what makes them a lizard and not a snake,is it there anatomy?

oh,i have had a find,a dead frog in a bucket in my back garden.Thats the closest we get to nature round here

Edited by - lee2308 on 01/04/2009 19:26:05
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  20:11:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

I know that there lizards without legs but what makes them a lizard and not a snake,is it there anatomy?

They have a fixed lower jaw and I think they have eye lids.

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  22:25:52  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
eye lids, fixed jaw, round tongues or higher forked tongues that dont flicker

~~ My Zoo ~~
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids

Edited by - PunkAsF82 on 01/04/2009 22:31:34
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  22:48:22  Show Profile
They can also drop their tails (like leo's for example), im not sure if that defines it as either a snake or a lizard, but I dont know of any snakes that can do it.

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  00:05:07  Show Profile
its funny how they look like snakes but with a lizards face... i like
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  01:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
It's also got something to do with the heads as well apparently.
Something like a lizards head is normally about the same size as it's body, but a snakes isn't.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  14:56:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Has anyone ket these as pets or heard of anyone keeping these sucessfuly.I have a little spare tank and would like to keep one but not if its going to die and would there e any risk of infection to my other snakes because it's wc.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  16:40:27  Show Profile
do they eat bugs? I seen a massive adder in Chawton Woods and one again at Alice Holt.

Anyone heard of them?

Nice finds Dan
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  20:23:17  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Dawww slow worms are adorable!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  22:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
When I was about 10 I used to keep a lot of the snakes and stuff we used to catch.
These were Slow worms, Adders, Grass snakes, lizards, even a Sand Lizard once but they are all a protected species in one way or another.
If you're found keeping one of them, you can get into trouble for it.
But if you're only 'nursing it back to health' for a few days because your cat/dog/sister brought it to you in their mouth nearly dead, then you *may* get away with it.

Feeding the different animals is a different kettle of fish. We used to find that slow worms seemed to love woodlice and other assorted tiny creatures like that.
The adders would eats frogs and mice.
The grass snakes would eat really random stuff, i think they were related to sea-gulls somehow. If it was edible, they would eat it.
The lizards were the hardest to feed, they only ever ate little things like ants, and really tiny bugs. We used to sift watercress in a brook in the forset behind our house to catch water-fleas or whatever they were called.

Good fun to watch and learn from. Especially adders. Been bitten by them before, yellow arm time that was.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  23:08:45  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I have been looking into it and there are a few forums out there were people do keep them,they are a protected species but some say you can keep them as pets as long as their not harmed and it is against the law to sale or buy them.I have changed my mind about keeping one as it is more than likley to die and the keeping issue seems a bit grey.

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
yeh i think it's highly illegal to actually confign them. they're a protected species... it'd be fun and they're cute but concidering how uncommon they are, it'd probs be best just to place them in your garden and make sure there's lots of nice buggies around for them to eat :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  15:39:26  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Found this little guy today.
Very cute Common Toad - Bufo Bufo

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  21:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Toads are brilliant.
It's only from your pics that reminded me that I haven't seen one for aboput 2 years.
Loads of frogs in the past week though.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  09:36:25  Show Profile
I rescued a gecko in tunisia, he fell out a hole in the roof over the indoor pool and couldnt get out the pool, got a pic of it on mates phone waiting for him to send us it tho..

will get some up from what I have heard theyr'e same species but different colours considering I had a poke around in a bush and found another one, same size different patterns.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000