would i need a guard??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  10:01:41  Show Profile
i am currently trying to sort out what i would like in my new viv (when i get it)as my corn snakes are getting big enough to have a proper viv instead of just a plastic faunarium.

i know lights are not essential for a corn snake to be healthy, but i am looking at them anyway.

if i used a household energy saver bulb would a gaurd be essential?? as i dont think they get that hot.

as i might not use an energy saver for definate, im also looking at tube lights. i have an aquarium with tube lights and they dont get hot at all i could grab them in my hand and hold it and not get burnt. so again would a guard be essential for these aswell??

just want to make sure they will be safe in their new home and be safe for the rest of their lives

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  10:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
The best way to tell really is to hold the lit bulb for about 1/2 hour to an hour.
If it gets to hot for you, then it will be for the snake. Energy savers do actually let off a fair bit of heat, althought they aren't supposed to.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  11:17:46  Show Profile
another thing about that, would holding the bulb really tell me if it wont burn my snake?
i am warm blooded after all, where as snakes are cold blooded. wouldnt it be potentially hotter for a cold blooded animal?
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  12:38:23  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
i have a heat bulb on from time to time for my corn snake, i use a 60 watt bulb and thermostat or no thermostat it still gets hot enough to burn, i remember once when i accdientally touched it it hurt alot. i have a guard on mine and glad i do coz when my snake wants to explore he does slither near it, someone told me a story once that in a reptile shop they could smell something burning and when they investigated they see a snake that had stupidly coiled round the bulb before they switched the bulbs on that morning and the bulb turned the snake into a black shrivveled sausage, obviously killed it. but thats the story of why you need a heat guard anyway coz your snake will try and touch it , no doubt.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  13:32:12  Show Profile
To be honest, for the sake of £15.00, I don't see there being any question of whether you should have or shouldn't.

Even if you do use a bulb unprotected, without any tragedy for years, theres always a chance.

As a secondary thought, if it's just a standard energy saver, what happens if the snake coils round it and breaks it or pulls the element out of the fitting? I'd hate to see a snake that's slithered over broken glass...

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  14:16:44  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
and also if anyone thinks 15 pounds is expensive for a heat bulb guard, why not attempt to make one yourself or get a family or friend whos experinced with folding metal or making metal boxes, all you need is the correct measurements

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  16:57:43  Show Profile
Or buy 1 from me fully powder coated steel and cheapest about

Energy savers can get very hot.

Plenty of retics and burms

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom