Different eating behaviour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  21:03:00  Show Profile
Hey im new to keeping a snake so Im probably just over reacting but better safe than sorry lol
I’ve had my snow corn for about 2 and a half weeks now. She is around 1 and a half and seems to have settled in now but some things are bothering me about her.

Firstly, she seems to stay in her hide on the cold side ALL the time .. even when digesting, the temp is 76 - 78 F and sometimes raises to 80 F when the dryer is on in the kitchen (her viv is in the front room which is next to the kitchen).

Secondly, I fed her today for the 3rd time .. normally she strikes really hard from quite far away, constricts and is happy to eat in the open with me watching her, today though she went up really close to the mouse, didn’t strike with much force and took it back into her hide .. she is now sitting there with her head poking out her hide .. it just seems different to what she normally does.

Thirdly, I found what to me, looked like a mite in her water bowl the other day, her scales were a little raised on her side near her cloaca but I prodded around to see if I could see anything in the scales but I couldn’t .. I haven’t found any more on her or in her water bowl so it seems really weird ..

If someone could help I would really appreciate it ... like I said, im probably over reacting but I just want to make sure she is ok and im doing everything ok .. Thanks =]

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  14:05:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Maybe she prefers the hide on the cold side and has an adversion to the other?
Perhaps try swapping the hides around for awhile and see if that helps. How warm is the hot side? You find heat gets trapped under hides and perhaps its too warm for her.

I wouldnt worry too much about the feeding, mine go through odds all the times, sometimes striking, sometimes not, sometimes dragging it away or eating in the open etc, I wouldnt worry too much about it as long as she eats it and isn't dragging it anywhere where substrate could get on it.

The mite in the water bowl may be a bit of substrate or poop, I wouldnt worry too much about it if youve only seen a single one. As for the raised scales a photo would help muchly.

Hope this helps a bit ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  17:46:43  Show Profile
ok, sounds good about swapping the hides, im doin a full clean on sunday so i will do it then =] ... the hot side is around 85 - 88 F

well where she dragged it, there is substrate but i dnt think she swallowed any of it.

when i looked at it, it moved so i put it on my finger and it still moved so i think it was def a mite but i havent seen any on her today or in her bowl for a while so i think its ok.

The raised scales have gone now =] .. i put her in some warm water earlier on today because she hadnt pooped since i fed her on wednesday. after she pooped the scales went back down so i guess it was just because she was constipated =]

thanks so much for your help =]

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000