No apetite
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  16:46:12  Show Profile
Zar, my albino corn snake, is 1.5 yr old.

He has always been in good health , but 3 weeks ago stopped accepting adult mice .
There is nothing wrong with his skin, mouth etc., his stools are ok and he responds to me nicely.
The only thing that I have noticed, of any different, is that he is definitely more active then usual.

I am not sure if I should get worry and take him to a vet or if it is just a 'spring thing'... Can Zar be not interested in food because he's going through its sexual maturity? If so, how long would this starvation last?

thankx

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  17:10:05  Show Profile
im no expert, but as far as i have found out corn snakes reach sexual maturity around 18months of age. the behaviour sounds as if he is looking for a mate as they do tend to voluntarily fast during the breeding season
hope this helps abit
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  17:10:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i wouldnt worry it's just that time of year,just keep an eye on his weight and if he loses too much then have a visit to the vets might be a good idea.oh,hi and welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  17:18:27  Show Profile
hi guys, thank you very much. I will keep an eye on him to see if he loses too much weight.
However, would it last more then a month?
cheers
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  17:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
My male snow corn didn't eat for 6 or 7 weeks last year approaching and during mating season.

As Zar says, just make sure he doesn't drop to much weight.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  20:05:42  Show Profile
Got me worried now. due feed tomorrow and my males are roaming a bit but not mature yet.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  16:55:58  Show Profile
hi zar. my female cornsnake, 22 months, had until recently always been a very enthusiastic feeder. recently she has become reluctant to feed. i have had success feeding her by:
1) making sure the mouse is nice and warm (by defrosting it in a plastic bag submerged in warm water--but not hot!)
2) braining the mouse
3) putting a hiding place in the feeding box and leaving the brained mouse in there with him for 10-15 minutes.

so if youre getting worried about his weight, i hope the suggestions can be of help.

best wishes.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2009 :  16:50:27  Show Profile
guess what! Zar is still not eating.... bless...meanwhile he has shed as well. he has not eating since the 9th March know, but only yesterday stopped scrubbing himself against the glass. I will try to feed him again tonight.

fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  20:59:39  Show Profile
eventually zar ate last tuesday after nearly two months. now all back to normal :-)
Go to Top of Page

Fat Paul
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  18:41:58  Show Profile
My male doesn't touch food while he thinks theres a chance of breeding - only one thing on his mind and it aint gerbils!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  21:27:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you feed gerbils FP? they're damn expensive, had to get some in for the little boa and nearlt fainted at the price compared to mice/rats!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000