New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  20:44:25  Show Profile
Hi all,
Just wondered if Corn snakes, or any snakes for that matter can get sun burnt? The reason i ask is that while trying to find the maximum surface temperature of an energy saver lamp (not hot enough to physically burn by the way) i found an oddity, we all know that these lamps put out UV light but what i didn't know was that when a person is within a foot the light is the equivilent to the UV of the mid day sun in summer. There have been people who have gone to bed with an energy saver lamp as a bed side lamp only to wake up severly sunburnt. Since the lamp in my viv is about a foot in height i just hope i don't end up with a bronzed flourescent orange :)

Micahel

1.0.0 Tom a 10 month old Flourescent orange Corn 29 inches and growing fast

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  13:07:59  Show Profile
Oh dear was this a stupid question or has nobody heard of this?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  13:20:56  Show Profile
never heard of this happening,and uv lights sold are highly unlikley to give you a sun tan of any effect unless held very close for an amount of time, tho the heat will proberly get to you first before the uv makes u have "sun burn"
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  16:19:02  Show Profile
Not a stupid question, but I havent got a clue.

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  18:11:17  Show Profile
er???? I did use to get special suntan lotion for my white cat coz her nose and ears got fried in the summer no idea about snakes though.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  18:16:27  Show Profile
lol im gunna lie under the lamp tonite n c if im bronze tomora
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  21:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
That was a good question actually, i've never thought of that.
Research time tomorrow I think. Questions like these are good, because it stumps us, and makes us think.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  22:34:12  Show Profile
Hi good not a stupid question then and matk, you miss understand 'i think' these are not intended as uv lamps simply the everyday energy saver lamps with the exposed tubes, and you are right you do need to be close to them for a long time say overnight by mistake to burn a human. But my viv height is 'close' to the snake, within a couple of feet at best and on a timer for 8 ish hours a day.

Michael

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  15:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I read the other day that sun lotion on humans can cause snakes to get a skin irritation. That's why it's advised not to handle your snakes when you've been wearing it.

Doubt snakes will have their own.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  18:37:45  Show Profile
Hi Kazarella, the suntan lotion comment was a bit of a joke but the question about the UV output still stands if humans can get burns from them would snakes?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  00:12:59  Show Profile
light bulbs emit next to no UV rays at all, that's why herps buy special reptile UV lights for lizards and turtles etc. Even then, the UV is a fraction of what is emitted from the sun. I think you could hold an energy saver bulb to your face for days and not have to worry, they also emit little heat in comparison to ordinary bulbs.
I'd say your original source was wrong tbh.
Next time your in a reptile shop, have a look at the box a UV tube, or bulb is in, they are quiet informative with statistical info on UV output. The tube/bulb's UV output fades over time as well, so if you use one for a reptile it should be replaced every 6 months.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  13:05:07  Show Profile
Hi amimus, just wondering on what information you based the statement light bulbs emit next to no uv, the health protection agency have issued a warning stating that the single skin energy saver lamps emit very high levels of UV A, B and C and must not be used where people can maintain a distance of less than 30cm, so if you are saying the health protaction agency are wrong i'd be interested in reading the information from you source. By the way there have been confirmed cases where people have been 'sun burnt' by these lamps working under a desk lamp and like said before falling asleep next to a bed side lamp.

Michael

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  03:31:28  Show Profile
firstly how can a bulb possibly emit as much UV radiation as the sun (this is my comparison of next to know UV output), surely that's just common sense? Secondly, I'd imagine that prolonged exposure to a UV radiation source is likely to lead to problems, yes. But sitting next to a lamp for 30 mins isn't going to do any harm. If it's one of those sun bed type one's sure, but an ordinary energy saving light bulb? no. Thirdly if you read on the side of the box the reptile UV tube and bulbs come in it gives you nice graphs etc so you can see for yourself the amount of UV that is produced.
In relation to snakes, they aren't beneficial to snakes that is known, IE no need to produce the D3 vitamin. So the only reason then would be for viewing pleasure, if your worried about possible UV effects on your snake then get an LED one which emits very little heat etc. But my common sense won't allow me to believe that someone could get sunburnt falling asleep next to an energy saving light bulb, unless their face was right under it or something, in which case they would deserve it, though our skon is entirely different to snakes at any rate.
In fact after searching for an Arcadia D3 reptile lamp, it says these lights produce 5% UV(b) or a new one which is 7%. Satisfied?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  03:38:44  Show Profile

http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/faqs/health.htm#3

http://www.americanairandwater.com/lamps.htm

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptiles/a/reptlightheat_2.htm

http://www.mastsanity.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=265&Itemid=1
This site you will find interesting as it says that compact florescent lights are harmful but it does say that those effected mainly have existing skin problems, and other harmful issues are from 'dirty electricity'.

I'm sure there are many more, and probably some hefty debates to boot. Try google.

Edited by - n/a on 17/03/2009 03:47:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  07:52:23  Show Profile
Some nice information especially the last section, not surprising the manufacturers are denying the uv output especially the particularly harmful UV C, the thing that bugs me, and i am thinking about changing my lamp is that we aren't talking about 30 mins exposure but a possible 8 hours a day or what ever your cycle is 360 days a year for possibly 20 odd years at a very close proximity. Clearly a lamp will not produce the same levels of radiation as the sun but my lamp is a just a tad closer and without a tidy little ozone layer to filter out the vast majority and all the bad UV, the point i guess is that this is information that is not generally advertised with the normal energy saving lamps hence raising the concern. By the way is UV harmful to snakes? this could all be academic:)

Michael

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  19:56:40  Show Profile
I'd doubt anyone could answer that question as I don't think any real studies have been done with this in mind. I think, scientifically very little is known about snakes, at least in relation to human terms (from what I've read in books, internet, forums etc). But as I said before, if you are worried then get one of the LED ones, they do ones for fish tanks which normally suit. Or they now have ones designed for reptiles which are supposed to replicate the moon for evening viewing, also if this is to view you snake during the day I can't see it's necessary as unless you have a very dark room day light should be enough. If your using an energy saver to provide heat then it won't be enough as they don't produce enough heat for the snake.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  20:31:40  Show Profile
Na the light is purely aesthetic as i have the heat controlled in other ways, its funny the room isn't that dark but the viv faces away from the window making it quite dark inside. Not sure about the LED lighting, can be quite harsh probably go for one of the UV filtered energy saver lights, its funny with incandescent lamps getting banned they 'the health authorities' are trying to ban the single skin energy saver lamps for the reasons we've talked about

Michael

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000