New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  22:42:49  Show Profile
Ok my carolina is getting slightly larger than my other one.. with this he was once rather tempremental with me handling him untill now he's rather bigger by several inches and is rather twitchy when i put my hand near him. has struck me a few times...

any ideas? thanks.

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  00:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Perseverence really.
Also bung in a t-shirt or something that has your scent on it to get him used to it, although if you've had on any synthetic smells (deodorants etc) then there would be no point.
How long have you had him?
Is it more so when you go into the viv? If so, then maybe let him start making his way out before picking him up.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  05:40:25  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
The t-shirt thing does seem to work. My little psycho is a bit more chilled. Still need gloves though, lol. Do you bag your snake when cleaning out its viv/rub? I've been carrying matilda around the house in her bag for 5 - 10 minutes after cleaning her viv out. Holding the bag as if it were a cat or rabbit. They're chilled out cos they're in their bag anyway. Seems to be working so far but only time will tell.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:52:19  Show Profile
Cheers although my viv is rather small. 1ft square but daving up for when i move house getting a huge one for each of them, so i couldnt use a t shirt. would a sock be ok?

I mean i just checked after I got back from school lifted up the rock and he started hissing!?!
hmm please wb. :)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  16:50:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
A sock might be a bit to much scent wise.
A glove might be better, roughly how big is he? And how chocked out is his viv?

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  18:19:15  Show Profile
Hmm I don't really wear gloves. But I can try I guess, sorry mate what does chocked mean. :s
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  18:21:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

sorry mate what does chocked mean. :s

How full it is.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:14:08  Show Profile
ah well not that much.. got a cave, log and a water bowl not not that free space but the snakes are stil rather small and thin so can turn aroud ok.
~UPDATE~
Tried with my wooly hat - striked at it and hissed.
Errr plan B?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:56:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
leave it in there for him to get used to the smell. don't dither around trying to pick him up, from his point of view you could be trying to eat him! calmly and smoothly pick him up by the middle third of his body.
alternatively, corns are often nosey so you could open the viv door and sit next to it, when he comes out of his own accord gently support his weight until you're fully holding him.
keep handling sessions short 10-15 mins and put him back before he gets cold or annoyed.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:05:10  Show Profile
I put it in there and he attacked it!!!! Lol. I mean it dwarves him in size plus its black so it must be pretty scary. I think I'll just leave it there and hope he crawls in there. Also opening the viv door would be a bad idea, this has happened before and he bolts. lol thanks for the advice and ill keep you posted :D
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Maybe make a snake hook to help put him back in/take him out.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  21:14:17  Show Profile
He's a tad small for a hook. thanks though.
~UPDATE~ glove is in there.. just waiting now :)
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  17:44:44  Show Profile
checked after school.
They have now nested in my glove :o
Might leave them till next feed and then we'll see.
:D
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  21:53:43  Show Profile
~UPDATE~
Okay I put an add up in classified i think its best for him to go with someone who coul tame him instead of being cramped in a viv all day. if step mum agrees.
I now put my glove on the log an a clean not worn for a while sock on the air grill. the plastic vine meets the grill and he chills in the vine at the top quite a bit so hopefully if he calms down within 3 weeks if not.. then bye bye balboa but on for a better life :(
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  08:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Dont give in so easily,it's not going to happen over night,im still going softly softly with my king i got 2 months ago.he will come round in the end.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  19:37:42  Show Profile
I know mate and if worse comes to worse I'd be sad to see him go. but hes been like this for 1 1and 1/2 years trying :/
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  19:39:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
did'nt realise it was that long.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  20:03:48  Show Profile
It's okay mate. you think im fighting a losing battle?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000