Hw much is enough? cook pinky?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  13:03:54  Show Profile
Have a 6mths old corn snake, jus wonderin how often would u guys feed a snake of this age? I feed mine with 1 pinky every 5 day but earlier on tried 2 pinkies . The corn had no problem finishin up both in an instant. DOes that imply i should feed it 2 pinkies every 5 day instead of one?

And also, a silly incident where i leave my pinky to thawed in hot water, so much so the pinky was cook partially but still i fed it to my corn withot realisin. There will be no ill effects rite??

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  14:31:33  Show Profile
I think 1 pinkie is probably a bit small for a 6 month old corn - you should feed it an item about 1 to 1.5 times the width of the snake at it's thickest part.

I don't think you can cook a pinkie in 'hot' water - maybe boiling water, but as long as your corn took it there should be no problems.

Try him with a fuzzie next feed

Go to Top of Page

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  15:25:34  Show Profile
Hi,

I have a 7 month old corn. I feed her on one large fuzzy or small wiener mouse every 5 - 7 days depending on the size of the meal.

Like Neil said, the meal should be no more than 1.5 x the thickest part of body width big. But it is amazing how large the pray can be in comparison to the snake's head size.

I defrost my mice by placing them in a sandwich bag and leaving in warm water for about 30 - 45 mins depending on the size of the mouse. Don't panic about your snake, it will not eat the mouse unless it is happy it tastes ok. If that makes sense? I tried to feed mine a pinky a few months back and she took it then started to wriggle backwards as if trying to spit it out. I held onto the pinky until she let go of it. I then tried to feed it to her again but she was having none of it, so I tired her on another one I had defrosted and she gulped it down. She was absolutely fine after the incident and it just go to show they will only eat the meal if they are happy with it.

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:24:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
try her on two pinkies per feed for a while, when she's regularly taking two then try moving up to one fuzzy/fluffy providing it's not more than 1.5 times the width of the widest part of her body.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  08:33:29  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies and advices. Tink i will start her on 2 pinky every 5 day, perhaps alternating with 1 pinky .
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  09:22:50  Show Profile
A 6 month old corn should manage 2 pinks or a fuzzy easily. If you try it and it takes it there is no need to alternate feeds with 1 pink, just continue with fuzzies.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  22:39:03  Show Profile
Hmm NEVER EVER COOK YOUR MICE!
It makes the mouse cooked (der) and un eatable for the snake. I leave my fluff in a mug of boiling water for 10 mins. till theyre quite squidgy and warm to the touch, make sure you dry it off well i use kitchen roll.
1 fluff each every two weeks. Just checked mine for first time after Wednesday's feed. Cloudy scales so shed soon!!
:)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:43:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

1 fluff each every two weeks.

that's not a lot of food..............
if they're on fluffs/fuzzies try feeding every 5-7 days!

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:00:45  Show Profile
Well they can only JUST squeeze it don their necks and seem to have a lump for 4 days after that
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:04:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it's not the food item size i'm commenting on, it's the long period between feeds. adult males are best fed fortnightlt, adult females, weekly and juveniles every 5-7 days.
for feeding you don't use the snake's head or neck as a guide, the prey item should be the same width, or maximum 1.5 times the width, of the snake's body at the widest part.
how old are they?

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:19:32  Show Profile
well i got them in december '07 when they were 8 months. WE THINK,
Ah okay i see where you are commenting on. I was told to fed them every other week by vet. but im not sure :/
How big are fuzzies btw?
Go to Top of Page

JoseBrado
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  16:40:58  Show Profile
My corn is 6 months old and eats a fuzzy every 5 days with no problem.(hardly leaves a lump.)Mines 18 inches long but havent weighed it yet.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  17:27:03  Show Profile
well mine must be younger than we think it is, its just over 15cm. :| although he was wriggling a lot
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  14:26:21  Show Profile
mine is nearly 2 foot, maybe just over, and is on small mice, ull be surprised how much they can eat.

Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  15:02:59  Show Profile
mines around 2ft, alo she is quite slim, has one fluff once a week and occasionly a small pinky as i have some stock left over so of shes still hungry she gets a treat, alo she will probally upsize soon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  19:58:50  Show Profile
i might go for 2 pinkies each a week then, 2 fluffs in my local shop is £1.35!! rip off! lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000