New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  19:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Ok guys, I'm feeding Lila tomorrow evening. The guy I bought her from said she's been on fluffs but I think she could possible manage a small mouse. She's 2½ ft long and a little thinner than my 1st finger at mid body.
I'm gonna try her with 2 fluffs in the evening and was wondering how long it takes to thoroughly defrost them in warm water?

I'm going to feed her straight after she's been handled for a while. I've noticed when she returns to her viv, she explores for a while with a lot of tongue flicking. I expect this would be a good time to offer food.

I've noticed some people feed there mice wet! What are the reasons and advantages of this if any?

I'm really excited about it. Not fed a snake since the last rabbit I tossed in for my Burmese 18 years ago, lol

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:43:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
there are no advantages to feeding a wet prey item!
it washes off the scent
substrate is more likely to stick to it
the snake can't use the direction the fur is laid to find the head end

good luck!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  22:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Thanks gp. I'll give them to her dry then.

I didn't consider it washing off the scent! I'm going to feed her in a plastic container anyway so ingesting any subsrate isn't an issue. I'll remove the container from the viv after she's vacated it herself.

Will get some pics if I can, possibly a vid clip too!
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  17:58:51  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
My mice are fed wet mainly because I warm them under hot water after thawing. I dont really see any advantage to it but I guess my snakes don't need to drink as often :P

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:27:27  Show Profile
Should my snake be taken out of his tank to be fed then? i have only fed him once but this was inside his tank and he took the pinkie well. But i didnt know if there advantages of removing him from his tank to feed?

Carl.

0.0.1 Carolina Corn "Chequers"
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
The main 2 advantages of removing from tank to feed is:

1: They don't start associating you going into the viv with getting fed,
2: There's no risk of them ingesting some substrate, which could cause impaction.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:50:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr
2: There's no risk of them ingesting some substrate, which could cause impaction.

Aaah OK.

I use "hemp" ?? as a substrate and was told by the pet shop that this is perfectly harmless should the snake digest it, i wasnt so sure however.

So if i take him out and put him in another tub to be fed, im assuming putting him BACK into his big tub might be a bit of a drama.

Do i just open the small tub and ease him back into his regular tub by gently shaking him back in?

cos i take it i dont wanna touch him

Carl.

0.0.1 Carolina Corn "Chequers"
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:51:03  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
thats what i do,just tip the tub gently and let him make is own way back in or if you need to pick him up just give it 20-30mins to let the food go down and so he knows theres no more food coming.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000