New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  11:24:08  Show Profile
Would papers ie newspapers. That we use for my betting shop display be suitable for her housing. I was thinking about putting in a layer under the aspen to help keep in heat. Also anything I should knw as far as insulating the under side goes with polystyrene and hardboard.?
Suitab

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  12:02:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A lot of people use newspaper for substrate.

Why do you need insulation, have you got a photo of your setup?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  12:41:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i use a base of newspaper sheets in all my vivs, some have shredded paper on top, some don't and some have beech chippings or orchid bark (i have a boa and python as well as corns)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  13:25:55  Show Profile
Reason is I have a glass exo terra viv. And a thermostat but where its been cold ect and its glass the stat takes a while to kick in. So it'll go from 27.5 to 30.5 all the time also the stat has to be set 5 or 6 degrees higher around 90 to achive this. So I thought the insulation may stablise the temp more. I will post pics when I get home as I'm making the coffee upstairs at work at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  14:12:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
is your probe resting on top of the substrate? preferably inside the warm hide for an accurate reading where the snake is likely to be. basic on/off thermostats do the job but have more temperature variation than for example pulse stats.
to help prevent heat loss you could always put the viv in a corrugated cardboard box with the top/open side of the box at the front where the doors are. alternatively polystyrene on the sides, back and top of the viv would work too.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  14:39:16  Show Profile
Yeah probe is sitting on the aspen next to her main hide. I've not had a problem with her so I'm prolly jus being a worried parent.I read somewhere that puttinhg polystyrne under the h-mat and hardboard on that to spread the heat was good. Would most likley help as its currently tapped to it as exo terras have those lil leg things so the underNeath is raised

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  14:52:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The temperature fluctuations are due to the stat-type as GP says.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  17:09:22  Show Profile
Yeah the substrate amount seems good to me then. Like you said the heat going wrong way I guess. Thanks for all the help btw.

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  17:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Sorry, deleted my post, was going to word it differently and then see you already replied.

Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  17:19:16  Show Profile
Tis ok. How diffrently?

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  18:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Basically same thing and to add I agree with what Blackecho says. The basic 'MatStat' will switch your mat on full power. When it reaches your set temperature it will switch off until the temps drop below a certain point when it switches on again. You will always see 3 or 4 degs fluctuation, unless your thermometer is extremely slow, lol.

I have a Pulse proportional stat. Warm end temps stay within 1 degree at about 30-31 C. Cool end varies from 20-24 depending on ambient room temp.

Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  18:27:16  Show Profile
yeah- tis around 3-4 degree variant so im probally just being fussy lol. first snake so sometimes i read stuff and panic lol. cant wait til get a wooden viv tho when she gets big, they sound much easier lol. my temps are around 30.8-27.5 hot end and like yours around the 20s depending on room temp

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000